mandy1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

I am recently widowed and want to know whether non taxable payments such as death payments and pension lump sums are seen as income for student loan purposes. If so where do they go on your form
Elizabeth SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Mandy

Private pension contributions can be taken into account as an income deduction for assessment of household income. We will require evidence of payments made, which can be in the form of a Tax Return or a statement from your pension provider.

If you have received a lump sum from a Private Pension scheme, this will be included in the assessment as this has come from a taxable source. These payments are not taxable in themselves, however like redundancy payments, they are from a taxable source. We will require evidence of payments received which can be in the form of a pension statement or a P60P.

Student Finance England only require you to declare any Private Pension Contributions.These are included in the income section.Thanks
mandy1000
Rep:
?
Thanks for clarification Does this go in the general income line or somewhere else

(Original post by Elizabeth SFE)
Hi Mandy

Private pension contributions can be taken into account as an income deduction for assessment of household income. We will require evidence of payments made, which can be in the form of a Tax Return or a statement from your pension provider.

If you have received a lump sum from a Private Pension scheme, this will be included in the assessment as this has come from a taxable source. These payments are not taxable in themselves, however like redundancy payments, they are from a taxable source. We will require evidence of payments received which can be in the form of a pension statement or a P60P.

Student Finance England only require you to declare any Private Pension Contributions.These are included in the income section.Thanks
Elizabeth SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Mandy

Hi Mandy

this would be placed in the unearned income section of the form.

Thanks
mandy1000
Rep:
?
Cheers. I thought that would be the case.
I was just asking where on the form with my second question.
Thank you

Hi Mandy

mandy1000
Rep:
?
your answer came through twice so I thought you were repeating the same info to answer the second question.
Sorry new to this- just spotted you second alternative reply
Thanks for your help
Elizabeth SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're welcome Mandy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.57%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.99%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (24)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed