Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Criminal record checks in graduate schemes Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you have to declare 'spent' conviction in graduate retail schemes? I know in NHS they have DBS and it will show up.

I know for normal jobs, they do a basic check where spent convictions don't show up but is it different in graduate level for retail?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was only an enhanced DBS where you had to declare spent convictions? I wouldn't have thought an enhanced DBS check would be required for a simple retail job (graduate or not) but surely that information is available from them fairly easily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I thought it was only an enhanced DBS where you had to declare spent convictions? I wouldn't have thought an enhanced DBS check would be required for a simple retail job (graduate or not) but surely that information is available from them fairly easily?
    I did look, it is not clear.
    There is 3 different levels of checks.
    The basic is when, spent convictions does not show.

Middle level check for accountants when it does show.

Enhanced for NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonttttt530)
    I did look, it is not clear.
    There is 3 different levels of checks.
    The basic is when, spent convictions does not show.

Middle level check for accountants when it does show.

Enhanced for NHS.
    Well I think the only way to know for sure which DBS check this company is going to use as part of their pre-employment checks is to ask them directly.

Obviously you're concerned about a previous conviction here, but surely you disclosed any relevant information at the time of making the application - so the DBS check is just going to be a formality of verifying this information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    but surely you disclosed any relevant information at the time of making the application - so the DBS check is just going to be a formality of verifying this information?
    I always assume when people ask this question AFTER they're meant to have disclosed it, they haven't disclosed it. Which can lead to the company withdrawing their job offer, or if you've already started employment, it's an immediate dismissal. Saw this happen so many times when I worked in HR, and the sad thing is for most spent convictions if you disclose it and it's not directly related to your job/too serious, they will usually let it slide if you disclose it. It's just about being transparent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I always assume when people ask this question AFTER they're meant to have disclosed it, they haven't disclosed it. Which can lead to the company withdrawing their job offer, or if you've already started employment, it's an immediate dismissal. Saw this happen so many times when I worked in HR, and the sad thing is for most spent convictions if you disclose it and it's not directly related to your job/too serious, they will usually let it slide if you disclose it. It's just about being transparent.
    I couldn't have put that better myself. It's often a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    You do not disclose spent convictions if you are not asked to do so.

ReputationRep:
    You do not disclose spent convictions if you are not asked to do so.
    Who doesn't? If you're being asked to have a DBS check you certainly should at least attempt to disclose it and obtain in writing from someone in HR that it's not required. It's just common sense/covering your own back.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you have to declare 'spent' conviction in graduate retail schemes? I know in NHS they have DBS and it will show up.

I know for normal jobs, they do a basic check where spent convictions don't show up but is it different in graduate level for retail?

Thanks
    It should say on the application form if the job is a role that's exempt from the ROA. If it's not exempt then you don't need to disclose spent convictions.

ReputationRep:
    Who doesn't? If you're being asked to have a DBS check you certainly should at least attempt to disclose it and obtain in writing from someone in HR that it's not required. It's just common sense/covering your own back.
    What are you talking about?
    All I asked was for graduate retail schemes if you had to declare 'spent' convictions.
    Its a simple yes or no!

If yes, then yes, I would explain it for the DSB

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about?
    All I asked was for graduate retail schemes if you had to declare 'spent' convictions.
    Its a simple yes or no!

If yes, then yes, I would explain it for the DSB
    It's not a simple yes or no answer - have you done any of your own research at all or do you just expect someone on TSR to spoonfeed you?

It will depend on the company's individual policy for a start, not just 'any old retail graduate scheme'. They will all have different requirements. It will then depend on what level of check they ask you to do. If they are asking for a DBS check at all, there is usually a place on the application form or when you come to do the DBS check for you to disclose any convictions you've had. At which point, even if they are doing a basic check where a spent conviction may not come up, it would still be good practice for you to disclose this as if you do not and they find out later then you will be at risk of immediate dismissal.

[e] I would think that a retail grad scheme would not be exempt from ROA because you would presumably have members of staff under the age of 18 as is typical in retail and jobs that involve training/managing/supervising people under 18 do require disclosure of spent convictions

ReputationRep:
    If it is a big company then yes. Large companies will have it in their compliance somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid woman, you are just posting for the sake of it.
    The answer is that you don't know if you have to declare spent convictions for retail. So don't reply to this thread! Stupid woman.

Stop going on about DSB, I know how it all works and what to do if they ask.
    You're calling me stupid but I'm not the one with a conviction...haaaaa

ReputationRep:
    You are stupid, you comment on things you don't even know about.
    You are trying too hard to sound wise, pretentious fool.
    Why ask a question if you don't like the answer? Are you a 4 year old throwing a tantrum?

ReputationRep:
    Why ask a question if you don't like the answer? Are you a 4 year old throwing a tantrum?
    I know the answer, and that is, you don't don't know!
    Stupid woman, I am done with you.

ReputationRep:
    That worked out well, then.

Wonder if she'll get the job?

ReputationRep:
    I know the answer, and that is, you don't don't know!
    Stupid woman, I am done with you.
    The answer is yes you should. Nobody can make you. If you don't, you might be lucky. You might also not be lucky and lose your job, the choice is yours. With that attitude I don't think you need to worry about being offered any grad scheme though, you know you have to be a people person to work in retail right? Not for you.
    • Very Important Poster

Dude you havent done yourself any favours. People will be put off by supplying you with the answer. The answer is in the ROA.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    If you are asked any question during the application process and you lie, and are subsequently found to have lied, then you can be dismissed. That goes for criminal convictions, qualifications, previous experience - anything the employer uses to determine whether to offer you the job.

An employer can only apply to DBS check someone in certain roles. Retail management is not one of those roles. This is easy to check in a 30 second Google, look up the government DBS website.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.