Turn on thread page Beta

False Advertising with Automobiles watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really need a vehicle, so I got on the website for my state's largest auto dealer thinking that they would have the best deal. I was looking at suv's and found one that seemed perfect. It was a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali. The price was listed in 3 different places on the site. The price listed was $5,185. I was like OMG, that is the perfect price. Then knowing that before I made the sales pitch to my parents, I would have to have all the details on the vehicle, I went to www.gmc.com. There they had the suv's listed for over 50,000 dollars!
    I called a sales rep and asked what their price was. He told me over 50,000. I told him my story and he told me to talk to the Internet Manager. I talked to him, and he told me it was a database problem and that I couldn't have it for the advertised price. I then talked to one of the sales managers and he got an attitude with me and told me that there was no chance of getting it for the advertised price. So I've reported them to the Arkansas Attorney General.

But my question is, Shouldn't they give me the suv at the advertised price?

***I'm not sure whether this is more debate or rant so I put it in gc. Any mods can move it if it turns into a debate about cars or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I really need a vehicle, so I got on the website for my state's largest auto dealer thinking that they would have the best deal. I was looking at suv's and found one that seemed perfect. It was a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali. The price was listed in 3 different places on the site. The price listed was $5,185. I was like OMG, that is the perfect price. Then knowing that before I made the sales pitch to my parents, I would have to have all the details on the vehicle, I went to www.gmc.com. There they had the suv's listed for over 50,000 dollars!
    I called a sales rep and asked what their price was. He told me over 50,000. I told him my story and he told me to talk to the Internet Manager. I talked to him, and he told me it was a database problem and that I couldn't have it for the advertised price. I then talked to one of the sales managers and he got an attitude with me and told me that there was no chance of getting it for the advertised price. So I've reported them to the Arkansas Attorney General.

But my question is, Shouldn't they give me the suv at the advertised price?

***I'm not sure whether this is more debate or rant so I put it in gc. Any mods can move it if it turns into a debate about cars or something.
    Dunno, how it works in the states but over here its called false advertising and under the trade descriptions act then they are legally obliged to sell it to you for that price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Dunno, how it works in the states but over here its called false advertising and under the trade descriptions act then they are legally obliged to sell it to you for that price.
    It's that over hear too, but the dealership believes that they can just claim it as a mistake and thus avoid any problems. Which is why I filed a complaint with the Attorney General.

ReputationRep:
    No they are not obliged to give it to you at that price, because normally all catalogues have a clause that say prices may vary and that they can't be held responsable for errors in the catalogue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    No they are not obliged to give it to you at that price, because normally all catalogues have a clause that say prices may vary and that they can't be held responsable for errors in the catalogue.
    Yet there is no fine print. And if there was, they should have pointed it out to me when I called. Plus, prices can't vary since it is the dealership's website, each location has it's own website, and the prices are what the dealership sells them for (supposedly)

ReputationRep:
    I'm still afraid they are under no legal obligation to give you the car for a tenth of it's market value. False advertising is when you misrepresent your product i.e. you say a coffee machine will make you good in bed, when in actual fact it simply makes coffee.

They made a mistake in their catalogue, they do not have to give you anything, and you are naive if you think they will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    I'm still afraid they are under no legal obligation to give you the car for a tenth of it's market value. False advertising is when you misrepresent your product i.e. you say a coffee machine will make you good in bed, when in actual fact it simply makes coffee.

They made a mistake in their catalogue, they do not have to give you anything, and you are naive if you think they will.
    Pricing is considered under false advertising. I don't want them to give me anything, I want them to sell me the car for the price they are advertising.

ReputationRep:
    It's that over hear too, but the dealership believes that they can just claim it as a mistake and thus avoid any problems. Which is why I filed a complaint with the Attorney General.
    Makes sense. You americans copied your legal system from us!

ReputationRep:
    Give us a link to this advert.

ReputationRep:
    Here

ReputationRep:
    My brother had a similar situation, where some golf clubs he had placed an order for from a website were advertised at an incorect price. However, when he spoke to trading standards about it they told him they wern't under any obligation to fullfill the order, as they had never confirmed that they would indeed do that. Until they do, they havent taken up any contract with you to suply you with the goods at that price, all they do need to do is correct the website to show the actuall price of the goods.

http://www.hamiltons-solicitors.co.u...protround2.htm
    (See specifcaly the bottom part of this page)

http://www.computerweekly.com/Article116696.htm

Which is fair enough in my opinion, it's unrealistic and unfair to expect a company to sell a product at a huge loss as a result of a simple and innocent mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised they haven't updated the website, but they are still under no legal obligation to sell it to you for that price. A catalogue is not binding in any way.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Here
    Can you not just print out the page and challange them to "beat" the price in the ad as it says they will on their main page: http://nitra.unitedautodealer.com/buick-landers/en_US/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Can you not just print out the page and challange them to "beat" the price in the ad as it says they will on their main page: http://nitra.unitedautodealer.com/buick-landers/en_US/
    That's a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea!

There's small print with that one though...

"On any competitor's advertised price"

and I don't think you could claim that they are their own competitor !

ReputationRep:
    Oooh wow, you're American and you said arse! Impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)

I expect there's another (a rival) company that says the same though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)

I'm going to go up and talk to them after I eat lunch. One of the sales reps told me to print the price and bring it up there.

I've got the price gurantee thing printed off and I can't find any small print.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go up and talk to them after I eat lunch. One of the sales reps told me to print the price and bring it up there.

I've got the price gurantee thing printed off and I can't find any small print.

Bottom of here.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    1 - no they are not obligated to give it to you for $5k. clearly, it was a mistake and thats all.
    2 - what the hell do you need an suv for? are you not a 18 year old? buy something more economical. or buy a bicycle.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.