Turn on thread page Beta

Article: The 12 most popular universities on The Student Room watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Have you ever wondered which universities get the most airtime on TSR?

Read our article to find out which are the most popular universities :daydreaming:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Or, alternatively just observe:

1) Oxbridge

2) Oxbridge

3) Oxbridge

4) Oxbridge

5) Oxbridge

6) Oxbridge

7) Oxbridge

8) Oxbridge

9) Oxbridge

10) Oxbridge

11) Oxbridge

12) Hmm, what could be last, LS.....oh no, Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Im guessing 1-12 on this: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have wondered about this... would have been more interesting to continue the table for a large number of universities though imo - these are all Russell Group members and Warwick is the only post 1960 uni included.

The really unusual thing with this league table is that the split between the unis widens near the #1 position, especially notable between Oxford and Cambridge... dunno if this is due to Cambridge's application process being particularly incomprehensible to applicants (as nulli tertius says it was in his day) resulting in large numbers of queries or if Oxfords forum areas are better organised making it easier for people to find out the information they need... or some other reason entirely.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Yes I have wondered about this... would have been more interesting to continue the table for a large number of universities though imo - these are all Russell Group members and Warwick is the only post 1960 uni included.

The really unusual thing with this league table is that the split between the unis widens near the #1 position, especially notable between Oxford and Cambridge... dunno if this is due to Cambridge's application process being particularly incomprehensible to applicants (as nulli tertius says it was in his day) resulting in large numbers of queries or if Oxfords forum areas are better organised making it easier for people to find out the information they need... or some other reason entirely.
    It's also partly because that Cambridge applicants are generally more talkative on their applicant threads. (and as an Oxford applicant this year I also contributed heavily to the Cambridge applicants discussions more so than Oxford discussions in fact.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)

1) Oxbridge

2) Oxbridge

3) Oxbridge

4) Oxbridge

5) Oxbridge

6) Oxbridge

7) Oxbridge

8) Oxbridge

9) Oxbridge

10) Oxbridge

11) Oxbridge

12) Hmm, what could be last, LS.....oh no, Oxbridge.
    That's all wrong. It is
    1) Sheffield
    2) Sheffield
    3) Sheffield
    4) Sheffield
    5) Sheffield
    6) Sheffield
    7) Sheffield
    8) Sheffield
    9) Sheffield
    10) Sheffield
    11) Sheffield
    12) Sheffield Hallam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    It's also partly because that Cambridge applicants are generally more talkative on their applicant threads. (and as an Oxford applicant this year I also contributed heavily to the Cambridge applicants discussions more so than Oxford discussions in fact.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's some learning there, my friend

(how did your application to Oxford go, by the way - I'm slightly out the loop with your application)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    There's some learning there, my friend

(how did your application to Oxford go, by the way - I'm slightly out the loop with your application)
    That's why I said partly

(I was rejected after interview. :/ Moved on from the decision though .)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No doubt because of the amount of interest in the following careers

1/ Banking
    2/ Banking
    3/ Banking
    4/ Banking
    5/ Banking
    :
    :
    :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    It's also partly because that Cambridge applicants are generally more talkative on their applicant threads.
    But 'more talkative' is the phenonemon to be accounted for. And something's going on here: 270% (!)

• I think the Cambridge admissions reps have a more active presence, which isn't to disparage what's done by e.g. Brasenose admissions.
    • Jneill is of course prolific on that forum and by his posting bumps a new thread back onto the homepage thus giving it another tilt at finding popular appeal.
    • Joinedup's suggestion that the Cambridge application process might be more complicated looks like joined-up thinking.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    But 'more talkative' is the phenonemon to be accounted for. And something's going on here: 270% (!)

• I think the Cambridge admissions reps have a more active presence, which isn't to disparage what's done by e.g. Brasenose admissions.
    • Jneill is of course prolific on that forum and by his posting bumps a new thread back onto the homepage thus giving it another tilt at finding popular appeal.
    • Joinedup's suggestion that the Cambridge application process might be more complicated looks like joined-up thinking.
    Fair assessment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RedManc)
    That's all wrong. It is
    1) Sheffield
    2) Sheffield
    3) Sheffield
    4) Sheffield
    5) Sheffield
    6) Sheffield
    7) Sheffield
    8) Sheffield
    9) Sheffield
    10) Sheffield
    11) Sheffield
    12) Sheffield Hallam
    Yeah. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. :rofl:
    Sheffield Hallam is the best
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by discobish)
    Have you ever wondered which universities get the most airtime on TSR?

Read our article to find out which are the most popular universities :daydreaming:
    The #1 is more than #2 to #5 combined!

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)

Hmm, I can't really take *that* much credit. I think (1) is part of it - certainly for the wider forum, but not the "chatty" applicants thread. Oxford loses a lot of momentum when they deselect the interviewees (Cambridge interviews many more candidates).

And it's always been the case on TSR ("even" before my time) and indeed other social media that Cambridge outposts Oxford.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    It may be partly due to a large interest in STEM here, and a lot of STEM applicants seem to prefer Cambridge to Oxford. For example, in the engineering forum where people are discussing their choices, it's almost always Cambridge that is listed as opposed to Oxford. It might be similar with maths, too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sheffield Hallam is the best
    So not Sheffield?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Smack)
    It may be partly due to a large interest in STEM here, and a lot of STEM applicants seem to prefer Cambridge to Oxford. For example, in the engineering forum where people are discussing their choices, it's almost always Cambridge that is listed as opposed to Oxford. It might be similar with maths, too.
    Yes there's something in that. In most* years the Cambridge threads is mainly either NatScis or Mathmos chatting (rarely engineers though despite it being a very popular course at Cambridge). *This year the humanities seem to have found their voice though.

And I'd wager that the Maths Forum is the most popular in SH.

Oh, and just on the engineering bit, Cambridge has twice as many engineers (applicants and students) as Oxford. So that's probably why the engineering forum has more Cambridge participants.

ReputationRep:
    So not Sheffield?
    Sheffield is slightly worse because it is harder to get into.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sheffield is slightly worse because it is harder to get into.
    ????

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.