Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to cognitive behavioural therapy? If so can you describe to me what it's like and if it helps. Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9kb8)
    Has anyone been to cognitive behavioural therapy? If so can you describe to me what it's like and if it helps. Thank you
    Yup. Basically it looks at a specific behaviour or thought and why you do/ think/ feel that. Once you know more about why you look into what you can do to change it.
    Different therapists will approach it in slightly different ways and I have had some who make it sound totally crazy while with others it makes sense and is helpful. I'd advise you try it and if it doesn't seem to be working for you try it wit somebody else. I have personally found it easier in a group therapy setting as you learn a bit from others and get more input. I also find it a bit easier to open up when it's not just targeted at me cos I feel less awkward.

It can be quite stressful because you are looking in depth at emotional things and trying to alter your thought process. You are likely to get annoyed with it and may feel worse for a while, but if you stick with it you should find it helps in the end.

Anyway more about CBT, it follows a basic model A, B, C- Action, Belief and Consequence- for working out why thingshappen.
    A would be the activating event. For an example you could say it's not talking to people in class.
    B would be the thought behind that. Let's say you're anxious that you might say something they think is stupid and because of that one stupid comment they will think you are stupid.
    C is what affect that has. So in this case it could be that you don't talk to people and don't make any new friends.

Once you've worked out all that you have a better idea of why things happen and that means you know better how to change things. You move further into the alphabet and that helps guide you through making a realistic worst case scenario (to challenge the belief) and things like that. It also covers some common traps that prevent people from changing something- like not being confident enough to think you can do it or being afraid of what the change could mean. It's a little more complicated for that bit so I won't write it out here in case I mess it up and confuse you. It all sounds a bit silly and confusing, but it does work for a lot of people and has helpedme.
    You can find information on CBT online and DIY it, but a therapist can help guide you through it and make sure you understand it well and encourage you to apply it. The end goal is for it to change ow you look at things and get you to naturally do that thought process when you reach a challenge.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and i'll try my best to answer them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.