Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I've read a few posts on this, but I decided to post my specific question and circumstances myself!

So I have a degree in Animal Science, 2:1 (annoyingly close to a 1st ) and am on a year out from vet school. Realising this isn't what I want to do, my love for computer science has grown exponentially. I've been teaching myself various aspects of the field, currently focused on C#, Unity and sometimes some HTML/CSS. I am a beginner but learning fast and thoroughly enjoying it, even if i spent about 1 hour looking for a bug in 60 lines of code (i'm learning fast!).

I applied for Computer Science BSc and have an offer to go to Cardiff Uni this September, I thought that the start form the ground up would be a good idea for me, as much as its 3 years more, I can get experience in the holidays and have connections from uni, whilst learning CS in detail and being able to adjust my modules and potential career path.

However, a tutor got back to me saying that I am eligible for their MSc in Computing, designed for students converting from other BSc degrees. I have applied for this too, and am awaiting a response to if I have an offer for that course. It's a one year, intensive computing course in which I could be done in a year with a masters (which whilst better than a BSc may look odd/worse compared to other candidates with a 3 year BSc in computer science??) and would also be able to go straight into work after a year, which is very appealing.

My question is, in your opinion, people who've experienced either route, what are the pro's & con's of these two options and what would you think is the better option.

Thanks for reading!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The MSc (probably a conversation) is a good idea and it'll help that you've done some self-teaching. With regards to jobs you will have to work harder to convince employers that comp sci is where you want to be and may have to do some additional training or certification courses if required by the job but otherwise you should be fine. You will be competing with people who may have BScs but have to prove yourself in your applications.

ReputationRep:
    Funnly enough i have applied to the same course and i am deciding what one to pick Msc computer science or MSc computing haha.

what i can tell you from my reseach msc computing is more practical based programming.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3721803

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.