Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C2 Trig Equation Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Solve the equation (√3)sin x = cos x, in the interval 0 < x < 360

I literally have no idea how to go about doing this. This is what I've done so far:

(√3)sin x = cos x
    3sin^2 x - cos^2 x = 0
    3sin^2 x - (1 - sin^2 x) = 0
    4sin^2 x = 1
    sin x = 1/2
    x = 30, 150

Not sure whether I'm on the right lines or not. The correct answers are 30 & 210.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebra015)

I literally have no idea how to go about doing this. This is what I've done so far:

(√3)sin x = cos x
    3sin^2 x - cos^2 x = 0
    4sin^2 x = 1
    sin x = 1/2
    x = 30, 150

Not sure whether I'm on the right lines or not. The correct answers are 30 & 210.

Thanks for any help.
    How about the identity sinx/cosx=tanx ??

Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    How about the identity sinx/cosx=tanx ??

Does that help?
    I'm OK at solving simple equations with 1 trig function, e.g. 7sin x = 3. However when there are 2 trig functions, I just get confused.

I'm self teaching maths from the edexcel books and there don't seem to be any examples where 2 trig functions are involved. This is the first question I'm attempting of this kind.

I'm not really sure how I could use sin x / cos x =tan x in this case, since tan isn't involved?

thanks for your help btw

ReputationRep:
    I'm OK at solving simple equations with 1 trig function, e.g. 7sin x = 3. However when there are 2 trig functions, I just get confused.

I'm self teaching maths from the edexcel books and there don't seem to be any examples where 2 trig functions are involved. This is the first question I'm attempting of this kind.

I'm not really sure how I could use sin x / cos x =tan x in this case, since tan isn't involved?

thanks for your help btw
    If you divide each side by cosx you will get (sqrt3)tanx=1 which you can solve from there

ReputationRep:
    Try (√3)sin x = cos x
    (√3)(sin x /cosx) = 1
    (√3)tah x = 1
    tanx= (1/(√3))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science Finger)
    Try (√3)sin x = cos x
    (√3)(sin x /cosx) = 1
    (√3)tah x = 1
    tanx= (1/(√3))
    Thanks a lot - this makes sense

However could someone please explain why my method is wrong and this is right? I would've never guessed to do it this way ..... thank you!!

ReputationRep:

(√3)sin x = cos x
    3sin^2 x - cos^2 x = 0
    4sin^2 x = 1
    sin x = 1/2
    x = 30, 150

Thanks for any help.
    Your method doesn't flow. Can you explain how you got from one line to the other, because it's definitely wrong but we need to understand what you were thinking and then we can tell you why you're wrong.

EDIT: you can't square an equation like that. You'll get extra solutions as a result. In order to see the correct ones you should substitute them into the original equation and eliminate the ones that don't match it. In this case, 150 degrees is eliminated. Try it and you'll see. Also if you know your graphs well you'd know that cos 150 is -ve whereas root3*sin 150 is +ve so u already know it's wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

(√3)sin x = cos x
    3sin^2 x - cos^2 x = 0
    4sin^2 x = 1
    sin x = 1/2
    x = 30, 150

Thanks for any help.
    Also sin^2 x = 1/4
    Sin x = +/- 1/2, you got rid of the negative sin x which is wrong because that's how you'd get your 210 degrees lol. X = -30 when sin x = -1/2 if you draw quadrant diagram it is also 210 degrees or 330 degrees. You can now test in the original equation and eliminate 330 degrees. You will get 4 solutions instead of 2 due to squaring the equation. I hope you understand my point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Your method doesn't flow. Can you explain how you got from one line to the other, because it's definitely wrong but we need to understand what you were thinking and then we can tell you why you're wrong.

EDIT: you can't square an equation like that. You'll get extra solutions as a result. In order to see the correct ones you should substitute them into the original equation and eliminate the ones that don't match it. In this case, 150 degrees is eliminated. Try it and you'll see. Also if you know your graphs well you'd know that cos 150 is -ve whereas root3*sin 150 is +ve so u already know it's wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure, sorry if it was a bit vague.

(√3)sin x = cos x (original equation)
    3sin^2 x = cos^2 x (square everything)
    3sin^2 x - cos^2 x = 0 (take away cos^2 x from both sides)
    3sin^2 x - (1 - sin^2 x) = 0 (replace cos^2 x with 1 - sin^2 x, since cos^2 x + cos^2 x = 1)
    3sin^2 x - 1 + sin^2 x = 0 (multiply (1 - sin^2 x) out by -1)
    4sin^2 x = 1 (rearranging)
    sin x = 1/2 (square root everything)
    sin x = 1/2
    x = 30, 150

the other method is a lot easier and I understand how it works now, however I would appreciate it if you could find the flaw in my method, as I certainly cannot thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Sure, sorry if it was a bit vague.

(√3)sin x = cos x (original equation)
    3sin^2 x = cos^2 x (square everything)
    3sin^2 x - cos^2 x = 0 (take away cos^2 x from both sides)
    3sin^2 x - (1 - sin^2 x) = 0 (replace cos^2 x with 1 - sin^2 x, since cos^2 x + cos^2 x = 1)

3sin^2 x - 1 + sin^2 x = 0 (multiply (1 - sin^2 x) out by -1)
    4sin^2 x = 1 (rearranging)
    sin x = 1/2 (square root everything)
    sin x = 1/2
    x = 30, 150

the other method is a lot easier and I understand how it works now, however I would appreciate it if you could find the flaw in my method, as I certainly cannot thank you!
    No problem and sorry I edited my post once I realised what you did as you saw and if you could read that - I mentioned your flaw/error. Read both of my posts again and absorb the information in there because it is essential and I've made similar mistakes in the past and they're extremely harmful.

You're welcome .
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem and sorry I edited my post once I realised what you did as you saw and if you could read that - I mentioned your flaw/error. Read both of my posts again and absorb the information in there because it is essential and I've made similar mistakes in the past and they're extremely harmful.

You're welcome .
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you so much!!!!!

Definitely helped me a lot!

ReputationRep:

You're welcome .
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you quickly help me with this last question?

tan x = tan x (2 + 3 sin x)

1 = (2 + 3 sin x) (dividing whole equation through by tan x - I think this may be the source of error, but I can't see why this would be wrong)

1 = (2 + 3 sin x)

3 sin x = -1

x = 199.5, 340.5

The above two values are correct, however I seem to be missing 180 and 360 - this may be something to do with me cancelling out tanx, however it felt like the logical thing to do :/ Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you quickly help me with this last question?

tan x = tan x (2 + 3 sin x)

1 = (2 + 3 sin x) (dividing whole equation through by tan x - I think this may be the source of error, but I can't see why this would be wrong)

1 = (2 + 3 sin x)

3 sin x = -1

x = 199.5, 340.5

The above two values are correct, however I seem to be missing 180 and 360 - this may be something to do with me cancelling out tanx, however it felt like the logical thing to do :/ Thank you!!
    Dividing by tan x removed a solution. Unless dividing the equation will lead to another identity such as if it was sin x and you divide by cos x it's give tan x. If it didn't lead to tan x you'd lose a solution. Similarly here you've lost a solution because tan x is a factor of both sides of the equation.

Can you post the full question ? The range must be > 0 so ... 0 < x <= 360 degrees.

In these questions what id do is expand the brackets and rearrange etc. If u can't solve then u must divide as long as it doesn't lose a solution or use other identities to try to solve. Never divide straight away esp when you see tan x is a factor because then it shows it's a solution.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much!!!!!

Definitely helped me a lot!
    No problem, read the post above for help.

Hint: expand and rearrange. You'll see a common factor of tan x, now think how to solve .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem, read the post above for help.

Hint: expand and rearrange. You'll see a common factor of tan x, now think how to solve .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Wish I could repay you somehow for your help!

I read that if you divide through by a variable, it has to be a non-zero variable, otherwise a solution will be lost ... otherwise, it should be OK. However from now on I will definitely be expanding and simplifying!!

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Wish I could repay you somehow for your help!

I read that if you divide through by a variable, it has to be a non-zero variable, otherwise a solution will be lost ... otherwise, it should be OK. However from now on I will definitely be expanding and simplifying!!

thanks again
    Yeah, it must be that lol I was trying to think but couldn't remember. And no problem, just keep posting questions - that's practice for me so it helps ! You have to expand and simplify all the time and use identities - that's the key to success!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it must be that lol I was trying to think but couldn't remember. And no problem, just keep posting questions - that's practice for me so it helps ! You have to expand and simplify all the time and use identities - that's the key to success!
    That's definitely gone onboard Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.