The Student Room Group

Reapplying to uni (mental health)

Hi everyone,
I'm from Sheffield and applied to uni last year to do modern languages. I applied to five unis (including Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam) and got offers back from all of them. I decided to go to University of Nottingham, but throughout my time there my mental health got worse and now I'm having to move back to Sheffield for more support.

I realise the deadline for equal consideration has already passed, but I want to apply to modern languages courses at Sheffield and Hallam for 2017 entry. I have 3 A*s at A-level (Chem, Spanish and German). I know a lot of languages courses were in clearing last year so I'm hoping I'm still in with a chance.

Should I mention my time at Nottingham in my personal statement? I have mentioned it in my education history, but I don't know if it would harm my chances to talk about mental health problems/leaving another uni. Should I just write another statement similar to my previous one and ask my referee (a teacher from sixth-form) to explain that I need to study in Sheffield for personal reasons?
Original post by susss
Hi everyone,
I'm from Sheffield and applied to uni last year to do modern languages. I applied to five unis (including Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam) and got offers back from all of them. I decided to go to University of Nottingham, but throughout my time there my mental health got worse and now I'm having to move back to Sheffield for more support.

I realise the deadline for equal consideration has already passed, but I want to apply to modern languages courses at Sheffield and Hallam for 2017 entry. I have 3 A*s at A-level (Chem, Spanish and German). I know a lot of languages courses were in clearing last year so I'm hoping I'm still in with a chance.

Should I mention my time at Nottingham in my personal statement? I have mentioned it in my education history, but I don't know if it would harm my chances to talk about mental health problems/leaving another uni. Should I just write another statement similar to my previous one and ask my referee (a teacher from sixth-form) to explain that I need to study in Sheffield for personal reasons?

One of my friends did a year at Hull uni and decided she wanted to start over in a new city so she applied for Sheffield Hallam in like April time? Way past the equal consideration deadline and she got in with an unconditional. She mentioned her year at Hull and how it gave her insightful knowledge and whatnot, she also did speak about her mental health in her personal statement but I think that's mostly because she's doing psychology? I'd definitely make the reason why you want to be in Sheffield known as otherwise they might think you dropped out just because you didn't like it and you might do the same at the uni that you're applying for? Always best to be honest up front, and besides the thing they're most interested in are you grades and yours are great! Plus you already have experience at uni and the course that you'll be doing so that will definitely put you at an advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest