Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I have a question...
    Ik that in the example below we should use the factor formulae but how do I know which two to use from each one (numherator and denominator)!!! Is there a certain way to know or do I just guess 😕 pls help thanks xx
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I would get scrap and do trial and error. I know this wastes time particularly when youre doing an exam but its the only way really you can do these type of questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    Hello I have a question...
    Ik that in the example below we should use the factor formulae but how do I know which two to use from each one (numherator and denominator)!!! Is there a certain way to know or do I just guess 😕 pls help thanks xx
    Well you can clearly see that there is two sines: sin A + sin B. Now you know that you can replace A with x+2y
    Use the factor formulae sin P + sin Q = sinAcosB where A is P+Q/2 and B is P-Q/2...

You have to prove the identity and it involves tan (x+y) in the right hand side and therefore they added the other two identities and left that one out on the LHS.

Also if you think about it you get tan from sin/cos. So if you leave the sin(x+y) and cos(x+y) in the denominator it would lead you to the answer - that's a way to think of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's as simple as that you're adding two sines, so you use sin P + sin Q. Those are just variables you can use any letter or symbol etc. If you were subtracting you'd use sin P - sin Q and it's factor formulae.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    It's as simple as that you're adding two sines, so you use sin P + sin Q. Those are just variables you can use any letter or symbol etc. If you were subtracting you'd use sin P - sin Q and it's factor formulae.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank u sooo much x

ReputationRep:
    Thank u sooo much x
    No problem. Please keep posting if you struggle or cannot grasp a concept. Trigonometry can be tricky but very enjoyable once understood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Please keep posting if you struggle or cannot grasp a concept. Trigonometry can be tricky but very enjoyable once understood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am struggling with question 1)b). Can u please explain what on earth is going on!!!! 😭 it was just asking to find an angle then it uses tan (A-B).. How am I supposed to know which identity to use (or when I even need to use it ) . thank u
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling with question 1)b). Can u please explain what on earth is going on!!!! 😭 it was just asking to find an angle then it uses tan (A-B).. How am I supposed to know which identity to use (or when I even need to use it ) . thank u
    What you need to realise is when you draw the two lines. The tan of the angle created between the line and the x-axis is going to be the gradient of the line. This is because tan A is y/x where y/x is the gradient of that line. Therefore tan A is 2 and tan B is 1/3 (as y = mx + c divide all by 3).

Now if you draw the angles or work then out A > B. The angle between the two lines is the difference between the larger and smaller angle, where A is the larger angle and B is the smaller angle. So the angle made is A-B. Now you need to find tan A-B using the formulae or identity...

Eventually, you should form an equation tan (A-B) = x, where x is an unknown at the moment. You will solve for it and get two solutions and you use the one between 0<(A-B)<90 which is the secure angle - the answer.

Or alternatively you can directly do tan-1(x) or arctan(x) to the principal value which will be acute

ReputationRep:
    What you need to realise is when you draw the two lines. The tan of the angle created between the line and the x-axis is going to be the gradient of the line. This is because tan A is y/x where y/x is the gradient of that line. Therefore tan A is 2 and tan B is 1/3 (as y = mx + c divide all by 3).

Now if you draw the angles or work then out A > B. The angle between the two lines is the difference between the larger and smaller angle, where A is the larger angle and B is the smaller angle. So the angle made is A-B. Now you need to find tan A-B using the formulae or identity...

Eventually, you should form an equation tan (A-B) = x, where x is an unknown at the moment. You will solve for it and get two solutions and you use the one between 0<(A-B)<90 which is the secure angle - the answer.

Or alternatively you can directly do tan-1(x) or arctan(x) to the principal value which will be acute
    so generally the A should be larger than the B when we are subtracting right??? because there is no negative angle..
    also.. what is the gradient is negative (tan A or B ) .. do we take its abslute value or leave it as is?

ReputationRep:
    Absolute**

ReputationRep:
    so generally the A should be larger than the B when we are subtracting right??? because there is no negative angle..
    also.. what is the gradient is negative (tan A or B ) .. do we take its abslute value or leave it as is?
    The gradients are not negative though so don't worry :P. It depends on the line. The line with the greater gradient should have the greater angle. But yeah, the angle shouldn't be negative as that doesn't make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok!! But generally speaking I must use the absolute value of a negative gradient.. Is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok!! But generally speaking I must use the absolute value of a negative gradient.. Is that correct?
    Yes or you could more preferred: work out the absolute value of the angle.
    If gradient is -1, u get x = -45 degrees and then u take abs value to get 45 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes or you could more preferred: work out the absolute value of the angle.
    If gradient is -1, u get x = -45 degrees and then u take abs value to get 45 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank u very much!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank u very much!!!!!!
    No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.