The Student Room Group

How to unblock an ear?

My ear has been blocked all day.
Holding my nose and blowing through it hasn't worked.
get one of those mini ear spoons lol
Getting an appointment at your clinic etc or olive oil sprays.
Original post by LeCroissant

Try Olive oil ear drops.
Worked for me
Buy a small bottle of olive oil and warm some of it in a pan or microwave. Make sure it's not too hot, obviously. Take a small spoon or a syringe if you have one and pour it into your ear. Keep your head fully tilted to the side until it has all fully gone in. You might need to then gently clean the ear with a cotton bud, but it isn't always necessary. My GP told me to use warmed up Olive oil years ago and it really works. You can also buy Otex Ear Drops. EDIT TO ADD. My son's father suffered with really severe waxy ears most of his adult life. He needed to get them syringed about three times a year, every year. Don't know if it's the same everywhere so you need to check. But, if the self remedy you use doesn't work then you may need to go and see your GP. In our practice, it is the nurse who syringes ears. However, we have to see the GP first, who decides if they need syringing. We cannot just see the practice nurse and ask her to syringe our ears without permission from the doctor. Everywhere is different, so if it comes to it that you need a health professional, ask first and don't just assume you can just make an appointment with the nurse simply because that's the one that will be doing the syringing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay so this is speaking from personal experience:
A couple of months ago, I had gotten ill and couldn't hear out of my right ear. I could hear noises from my body in it, but nothing from the outside, and it drove me mad! I got into the habit of absent-mindlessly yawning in hopes for something, and eventually after a couple of days of hearing a small click, suddenly my ear popped and I heard a quick whoosh of something that sounded like water, and then I could hear! It's annoying but there really isn't a quick fix in that situation!

However, I'd go check with the doctors first! It could just be wax build up!
Reply 6

Sounds like wax. Go to a pharmacy and get some olive oil drops. Try that for a couple of days (lean head to one side, drop some oil in and hold head to side for a few minuets). If it's still blocked after a few days contact your surgery and ask for an ear syringing. It flushes out the wax that has been softened by the oil.
If you are at all hot or feverish or have pain in your ear or near it contact your surgery for an appointment as it may be an infection. If you book to have your ears syringed the nurse will check your ears first and will tell you if it looks like you have an infection.

This happened to me once, I shouldn't worry.
Leaning on your side at night is very helpful, as if it is water, it'll come out.
In the middle ear, it's possible to get water here, and medical attention is usually suggested.
If it is ear wax, then remember that it is natuaral, and it's there for a reason. This should go in a few days-weeks.

Best of luck.
Original post by iappletom
This happened to me once, I shouldn't worry.
Leaning on your side at night is very helpful, as if it is water, it'll come out.
In the middle ear, it's possible to get water here, and medical attention is usually suggested.
If it is ear wax, then remember that it is natuaral, and it's there for a reason. This should go in a few days-weeks.

Best of luck.

Thanks, it is just really annoying because I am now partially death.
Reply 9

Don't do that.

Your ears will fall off.
Original post by markova21
Buy a small bottle of olive oil and warm some of it in a pan or microwave. Make sure it's not too hot, obviously. Take a small spoon or a syringe if you have one and pour it into your ear. Keep your head fully tilted to the side until it has all fully gone in. You might need to then gently clean the ear with a cotton bud, but it isn't always necessary. My GP told me to use warmed up Olive oil years ago and it really works. You can also buy Otex Ear Drops. EDIT TO ADD. My son's father suffered with really severe waxy ears most of his adult life. He needed to get them syringed about three times a year, every year. Don't know if it's the same everywhere so you need to check. But, if the self remedy you use doesn't work then you may need to go and see your GP. In our practice, it is the nurse who syringes ears. However, we have to see the GP first, who decides if they need syringing. We cannot just see the practice nurse and ask her to syringe our ears without permission from the doctor. Everywhere is different, so if it comes to it that you need a health professional, ask first and don't just assume you can just make an appointment with the nurse simply because that's the one that will be doing the syringing.

Whilst olive oil is excellent advice (though a drop at a time is all that is needed), you should never use cotton buds inside your ear canal!
Reply 11
Original post by ForestCat
Whilst olive oil is excellent advice (though a drop at a time is all that is needed), you should never use cotton buds inside your ear canal!

Indeed, I'm sure I was told you should never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow...
Original post by jneill
Indeed, I'm sure I was told you should never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow...

You're quite correct :smile:
Original post by ForestCat

Of course, I meant just to wipe the excess oil and any loose wax away. Just at the very opening.
Reply 14
Otex ear drops from a Pharmacy

Quick Reply

Latest