Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was in college doing a BTEC but have dropped out, I have decided to do physics, maths (mechanics) and further maths externally with self teaching but I only have around 3 months and 1 year. Both AS and A2 exams are in 2018 summer, I need to know if anyone else has self taught my A levels and if they could tell me how it went as well as giving me a timetable for help. I am willing to do 9+hours in order to learn as I'm aiming for A/A* in everything.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You certainly have time, people have completed A levels in half the time you have. I believe there are some people self teaching A levels in the Mature Students and Distance Learning forums, use the search function (under tools) to find them. My advice is just to buy the books and begin.

ReputationRep:
    I self-taught Physics and Maths+Mechanics, in pretty much exactly the same time span you're thinking of. Got A and A*

If I were doing Further Maths as well, it would have been quite a lot to deal with to be honest.

Definitely not impossible though.

For a timetable - just look at the books, count all the chapters and see how much time you have to do each chapter. I use this method even now as a 3rd year undergrad. I hate lectures so I just get the study material and teach myself, and just make sure I'm going at the right pace to cover it all in the semester.

9+ hours a day is a pretty huge undertaking as well. But don't worry, you won't need that much. I think I must have averaged about 4 hours a day, or less! Self-directed study is actually much faster than class study. No waiting around for anyone.

Thanks to self-teaching my A-levels, I now prefer self-teaching overall.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.