Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

47% of British people support so-called Muslim ban Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    In other words, 47% of British people are racist.

Not surprising at all.
    Why are people incapable of making the distinction between race and religion/culture? They're completely different concepts. Dislike of an ideology is not racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Says the self appointed intellectual.
    Surely you understand the difference in between not being simple minded, and being intelligent...

'Outright banning Muslims or people from Muslim majority nations is the proper way to go about things' If that is not proof of simple mindedness, I don't really know what is.

Resorting to such stupendously lazy and simplistic 'cures' is nothing if not proof of ignorance and simple mindedness.

(Original post by NickLCFC)
    In other words, 47% of British people are racist.

Not surprising at all.
    ^ This would also be an example of simple mindedness.

(Original post by Count Bezukhov)
      Why are people incapable of making the distinction between race and religion/culture? They're completely different concepts. Dislike of an ideology is not racist.
      Islamism is often conflated with Arabism. When someone says the Muslims, much of the time they actually mean the Arabs.

Its done by the muslims on here too, who say "X was a white, not a muslim".

A bit like the jews.

(Original post by Ibbyyyyy)
        With all surveys, you must be aware of context. The article even says that older people supported a muslim ban more, however, it fails to say how mnay old people took the survey and how many young people took the survey. You must also take into account location factors. I guarantee you far more people in places like Devon and Bristol would support a muslim ban as opposed to places like Birmingam and Yorkshire. Just saying, don't believe everything that's said on the internet.
        I'm 12 and even I know surveys are biased. I mean, I bet they didn't even ask all 60 million Brits?? I wanst asked!

(Original post by Good bloke)
          Before commenting you must be aware that reputable and competent polling organisations take such factors into account and correct for them before publication. In this case, they claim (as you would have seen if you had explored the links) that the samples were nationally representative, which covers all the problems you mention.
          If its a national representative, then why wasn't I asked??

You think you can interpolate the views of 6 million people from just a few dozen in the survey? lol

I'm 12 and even I know surveys are biased. Key stage 2 english. Weren't you educated?

ReputationRep:
          All these people blindly believing the polls as wholly accurate and yet threw a hissy fit when the Trump polls got it wrong lol.

It doesn't really matter because as it is with every social issue, it is the older generation that are intolerant and preach regressive ideas. Once they die off we will not have such irrational thought plaguing the nation at such a massive level.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Mathemagicien)
          If its a national representative, then why wasn't I asked??

You think you can interpolate the views of 6 million people from just a few dozen in the survey? lol

I'm 12 and even I know surveys are biased. Key stage 2 english. Weren't you educated?
          Now, now. Stop that.

(Original post by Good bloke)
            Now, now. Stop that.
            lol this guy still believes polls after Trump and Brexit.

correlation =/= causation m8, even I know that and I'm no mathemagian

ReputationRep:
            Important to remember that Trump's ban goes beyond preventing migration (which is severely limited anyway). It bans all travel, which isn't what this poll asked.

ReputationRep:
            I'm tired of this being called a 'Muslim ban.' It's not a ban on Muslims. If it was, every Muslim from every country would be banned.

No, it's a ban on visitors/immigration from certain countries which, in today's geopolitical climate, would be deemed high risk. And once those countries have sorted their **** out, you open up the border to their citizens again.
            • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Reality Check)
            That does mean that 53% of people, or more than half, are not in favour/undecided of a so-called muslim ban.
            No, more were in favour, just some were confused. I think it was 47 for, 41 against, rest not sure.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
            Why are people incapable of making the distinction between race and religion/culture? They're completely different concepts.
            No, they're not. It depends on the situation and the context that shapes identity. Sometimes religious affiliation is unrelated to ethnic identity, and sometimes it's unrelated. Often, it's somewhere in between.

To take the most extreme example, in the former Yugoslavia, "Muslim" is a recognised ethnicity (while in recent years its been superseded by "Bosniak", there are still substantial communities who identify purely as "Muslim"). Alternatively, take the confessional system in Lebanon, where all citizens are effectively required to identify as a member of an Abrahamic religious denomination. The same is true, in one form or another, for many states in the region, including Israel.

To use an example closer to home, take Northern Ireland. When we talk about Northern Irish people as being "Catholic" or "Protestant", we're not really talking about their religious beliefs. We're talking about what is essentially an ethnic division (though Orientalism dissuades people from calling it that).

While not quite as polarised as this, there are certainly people who come from Muslim backgrounds and somewhat identify as "Muslim" or part of the Muslim community on that basis, even if they're not actually that religious themselves.

TL;DR - it's complicated.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
            All these people blindly believing the polls as wholly accurate and yet threw a hissy fit when the Trump polls got it wrong lol.

It doesn't really matter because as it is with every social issue, it is the older generation that are intolerant and preach regressive ideas. Once they die off we will not have such irrational thought plaguing the nation at such a massive level.
            44% of young people support a ban. That's a very large percentage.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by balanced)
            No, more were in favour, just some were confused. I think it was 47 for, 41 against, rest not sure.
            Didn't 30% say they 'neither agree or disagree.' Thus, making fully against just 23%. Or I'm reading it wrong?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Jibola240)
            44% of young people support a ban. That's a very large percentage.
            They support a ban on 7 countries.
            • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Jibola240)
            Didn't 30% say they 'neither agree or disagree.' Thus, making fully against just 23%. Or I'm reading it wrong?
            I was thinking of another poll

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by RedManc)
            I would support it.
            cranbrook_aspie
            RayApparently
            A member of the labour party supports the Muslim ban .

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by fleky6910)
            cranbrook_aspie
            RayApparently
            A member of the labour party supports the Muslim ban , this is shocking!
            How is it shocking. The Soviets banned religion. I don't think that's a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
            Excellent.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by RedManc)
            How is it shocking. The Soviets banned religion. I don't think that's a bad idea.
            You are heavily mistaken

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.