Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the reason for getting brisk reflexes, *******ity and stiffness in upper motor neurone lesions? Trying to understand it so I don't have to 'rote learn'

ReputationRep:
    Primitive organisms without a significant CNS tend to have muscles that are more used for posturing and slower more primitive movements, so they tend to have very high tone. As the CNS developed it allowed more fine control, and as part of this created fibres (generally GABA medicate) to inhibit this tone.

This is what you see in an upper motor neuron lesion. You lose that inhibition coming from above, and so the 'natural' tone of the muscle becomes apparent.

Its similar to how you get flexor and extensor responses to pain (part of GCS) based on whether you're decortical or decerebrate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Primitive organisms without a significant CNS tend to have muscles that are more used for posturing and slower more primitive movements, so they tend to have very high tone. As the CNS developed it allowed more fine control, and as part of this created fibres (generally GABA medicate) to inhibit this tone.

This is what you see in an upper motor neuron lesion. You lose that inhibition coming from above, and so the 'natural' tone of the muscle becomes apparent.

Its similar to how you get flexor and extensor responses to pain (part of GCS) based on whether you're decortical or decerebrate
    Oh I see - that's actually very interesting, I didn't know about that.

Also, how would you pick up a brisk reflex in an examination? I don't quite understand what is meant by the term.

Thanks for your help!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TeenToDoctor)

Also, how would you pick up a brisk reflex in an examination? I don't quite understand what is meant by the term.

Thanks for your help!
    When you've done reflexes a few times, you'll start to notice if they are brisker. I take it to mean it is more apparant/ more pronounced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenToDoctor)

Their reflexes are more pronounced. The twitch is physically bigger.

Sometimes you even get spreading of reflexes (e.g. you hit their ankle and the knee jerks too).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.