Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Difference between Customer Assistant jobs in Tesco? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I seen that there are a number of different customer assistant jobs within Tescos but some I'm not sure the difference between. Checkout and self service is explanatory but what exactly is produce and grocery for example?

If a full list could be provided, that would be much appreciated!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiallMitch14)
    I seen that there are a number of different customer assistant jobs within Tescos but some I'm not sure the difference between. Checkout and self service is explanatory but what exactly is produce and grocery for example?

If a full list could be provided, that would be much appreciated!
    Produce is fruit and veg - so you'd be putting out the fruit and veg, making sure it's not mouldy, storing it at the correct temperature (eg bananas must never go in the fridge, but lettuce prefers to be refriderated), checking the dates and rotating the stock to ensure that things sell before they're out of date.

Grocery is a similar role, but it's in the rest of the store. So it's things like cereal, tins, spaghetti - it won't cover bakery (bread), chilled and likely frozen, but anything else is grocery. Things here have longer best before dates. Grocery can also be called "ambient".

Beers wines and spirits (BWS) can be a separate section, or may come under grocery.

Bakery is bread. This is usually separated into in-store bakery, which is the stuff they make there, and general bakery is things like Warburtons bread that comes in ready made. Bread is fairly short dated and easily squishable.

Larger stores will have things like electrical and clothing, and may other bits like the cafe or petrol station.

ReputationRep:
    chilled can you please tell
    replenishment
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reim123)
    chilled can you please tell
    replenishment
    Are you asking what replenishment is? If so, it's seeing what products are in the stock room and putting them on the shelves, making sure that you pay attention to best before dates so that the oldest products sell first.

If not, try writing in full sentences.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok. is that it/?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reim123)
    oh ok. is that it/?
    I'm still not entirely sure of the question. But in order to replenish correctly you need to figure out what stock needs to go out, or what stock is in the store room. So you may have to do things like gap checking, which is where you use a handheld scanner to scan the labels (on the edge of the shelves) to make a list of all of the products that aren't out on the shop floor. You then use this list to see what products to get out of the stock room.

You can also be involved in putting out the deliveries, and taking anything that doesn't fit on the shop floor back into the stock room and putting it away tidily.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.