Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Hello! So I've been meaning to start up a little blog about my academic journey for a couple of months, and here I am! I'll follow with posts about my progress, some stuff about me, the ups and downs of my journey, and what I'm getting up to!

Thanks! :wavey:
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Hello! If any of you decide to stick around or read about my progress, it might help if you know who I am. Let me introduce myself:

Name: Chelsea

Current Study: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in TV and Film

Predicted Grades: DDM

Previous Grades (GCSE): A - English, B - English Lit, B - Drama, B - Religious Studies, C - Resistant Materials, C- Biology, C - Physics, C - Maths, D - History, D - Music

Hobbies: Design, animals, film, TV, learning new things, discovering new places, talking to new people

If anyone has any questions, fire away!

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What's Resistant Materials?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    What's Resistant Materials?
    It was one of the design and tech courses There was engineering, product design, and resistant materials which was woodworking, metal work, casting, design, electronics and everything all shoved into one :laugh: Lots and lots of machines and tools basically
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It was one of the design and tech courses There was engineering, product design, and resistant materials which was woodworking, metal work, casting, design, electronics and everything all shoved into one :laugh: Lots and lots of machines and tools basically
    Oh right We only got offered Technology and Design at GCSE, and the chance to do a BTEC Level 2 Engineering course at the local tech.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

I made my application through UCAS a few days before the deadline. I've applied for 5 unis, all very similar courses. I've heard back from a few, but I'm still waiting on a couple.

The University of Huddersfield - Animation and Graphic Design

I decided to apply here because the uni is relatively close, so not too far away when I want to get home for the holidays, and I've met loads of people who went there who all talked about how amazing the support that they received was. The support services are a really big deal for me, and it made the decision a no brainer. I also really love the work that previous students have done, and I admire what they've gone on to do

Nottingham Trent University - Animation

I've always had my eye on this university. I've heard great things about the teaching staff, the city, and the companies that operate there. When my cousin mentioned that she was considering applying for a different course and we talked about the university, I quickly remembered what made me fall in love with it in the first place. We both went to the city together maybe 5 or 6 years ago now and spent the day there, going to a concert at Rock City in the evening. I looked at the course details online and just knew I had to apply. The work that the students had done was incredible, and the uni as a whole seemed like a really great place to be

Buckinghamshire New Uni - Animation and Visual Effects

I hadn't considered this uni so much until I got the prospectus in the post. I've always had an interest in visual effects, and really enjoyed doing bits of it in a motion graphics unit at college, so this course did peak my interest at the beginning, but I got sidetracked by a lot of other unis further north. Once I read into the prospectus and saw about the things this uni has to offer, and how student friendly it seemed, I knew this was somewhere I could succeed and enjoy. It's a little further away than I'd like, but it's the furthest I've applied to. If I end up going there, I'll enjoy it regardless

University of Salford - Animation

The thing that struck me first about this university is the location. If I went here, I'd be studying in MediaCity. How cool would that be? I'd be so close to the industry, and I'd be able to make all kinds of contacts. I looked into the course a bit further and the facilities seemed really great. One thing that really caught my eye about the uni was their information for disabled students. There was a lot of information like accessibility maps and information, and it really stood out for me. Having a university that is so understanding and supportive of my needs is incredibly important to me, and I feel safe in knowing that they would have my best interests at heart

Sheffield Hallam University - Animation

This was probably the final university that I considered. I wasn't originally going to apply, but the entry requirements were quite low and there was nowhere else that I wanted to apply to in particular. It seemed silly to waste this last choice, and I did like the look of the students' work and the fact that it was still relatively close to home, so I went ahead and applied. Being close to home wasn't the most important thing to me, but I want to be able to get back without it costing an arm and a leg, and without having to travel for too long. Travelling for more than a couple of hours makes me quite ill, so I need a lot of resting time afterwards, so being close enough to home to be able to get back is definitely a plus
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Oh right We only got offered Technology and Design at GCSE, and the chance to do a BTEC Level 2 Engineering course at the local tech.
    I considered engineering, but there would've been no other girls in the class :laugh: I was one of 3 girls out of the whole year group of more than 200 doing a tech course
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

I know I have months to go, and I haven't even gotten into uni yet, but I've started collecting stuff already. Instead of having to pay out loads in one go, I'm slowly collecting items to take with me so the cost doesn't hit me too hard. I'm going to tick things off as I go, and add to or take away from the list as well

Already own Since Bought Need to get Will get later Packed and ready to go!

Documents

Acceptance Letter
    Driving License
    Birth Certificate
    Passport Photos
    National Insurance Number
    Debit Card
    Bank Account Details
    Accommodation Information (Terms, Contract etc)
    Student Loan Documents
    Any Relevant Insurance Documents
    Prescriptions
    Evidence of health conditions
    NUS Extra card
    Doctor and dentist details
    CV

Electrical Items

Laptop and charger
    Mobile phone and charger
    Headphones (for class)
    Earphones
    Small TV
    Amazon Fire stick and remote
    Extension lead
    External hard drive and cable
    USB memory stick
    Camera
    Printer with ink
    Hair straighteners

Stationary and Art Supplies

Biros
    Regular pencils
    Graded drawing pencils
    Brush pens
    Fine drawing pens
    Diary/planner
    Electric sharpener
    Folder with dividers
    Writing pads
    Notebooks and sketchbooks
    Portfolio

Kitchen

Sauce pan
    Tupperware
    Small wok
    Cutlery
    Plate
    Bowl
    Kitchen knives
    Mug
    Glasses
    Wine Glasses
    Baking tray
    Chopping board
    Plastic spoons
    Scissors
    Mini slow cooker
    Tea towels

Bedroom

Bed sheets
    Duvet
    Pillows
    Alarm clock
    Coat hangers
    Doorstop
    Clothes
    Laundry basket
    Fairy lights (if allowed)
    Microwaveable wheat pal

Bathroom

Towels
    Wash cloths
    Medication
    First aid (plasters, painkillers etc)
    Toothpaste and toothbrush
    Toilet roll
    Air freshener
    Make up
    Wash-bag (shower gel, body lotion, shampoo etc)
    Condoms and implant card
    Antihistamines
    Cold/flu remedy
    Ice pack
    Razor/hair removal cream

Clothes

Casual clothes
    Smart clothes
    'Going out' clothes
    Underwear
    Smart shoes
    Trainers
    Comfortable shoes
    Coat
    Waterproof jacket
    Summer and winter items
    Jewellery
    Scarf, hat, gloves

Miscellaneous

Glasses
    Alcohol (Spirits that I don't want to leave at home)
    Ukulele
    Umbrella
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Study update #1

Studying with mental health issues can be hard, especially when they're exacerbated. At the moment, I have a lot going on and I'm not doing so well. I'm still pushing through though, just slower than I'd like. This week I managed about 2000 words on an essay for my film studies module though, so I'm really proud. I'm writing about gender and sexuality in film. I think the portrayal of young girls in horror films is really interesting, so I'm putting together a piece about it.

It's half term next week, so I'm hoping to get plenty of rest ready to power through some work when I go back to college :dumbells:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Study Update #2

Man, I wish I could upload some of my work. I'm really proud of some of my essays this year. I can't though, because they'll be flagged when they get marked for plagiarism :mmm:

I have an interview on Wednesday at the University of Salford for their animation course, so I'll let you know how it goes! I'm just polishing up my portfolio, which you can see here. I hope they like my work!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

On Friday 3rd February, I had my first university interview at the University of Huddersfield for Animation and Graphic Design. Exciting stuff! I was quite nervous about this the night before, but everyone in MHSS managed to calm me down :laugh: On the day, waiting for the interview, I actually wasn't nervous at all. I have since learned that university interviews can be really fun if you let them

My interview was in the morning, and the university is quite far, so it was a pretty early morning! I donned my smartest outfit and set off for Huddersfield. When we drove by the uni, it was pretty overwhelming. It looks quite big, and just so pretty. It's not like driving up to college where it's a pretty standard building, medium sized, and there's lots of bored looking people around. At the University of Huddersfield, everyone looked really happy to be there. People smiled at me as I walked through the campus, and when I arrived for my interview, an hour early may I add, the woman greeting interviewees helped me find somewhere to get a drink and freshen up before my interview.

When I sat down in the waiting area, a girl interviewing for a similar course sat next to me. She commented on my tattoo and asked where I got it. Turns out we both have roses by the same guy! It's weird, because we'd both travelled out to Manchester to get them despite neither of us living there. She also has another by him and it's so so nice. We got chatting, and she was so easy to talk to. She was interviewed before me, and it seemed like her interview went really well. We wished each other luck and off she went.

Next, I got chatting to a guy in his 30s. He was really interesting, and I really admired his passion and determined attitude. He has children, so has struggled fitting in study, but feels like now is the right time. He's on an access course at the moment, and wants to be a concept artist for video games. He was made redundant from his job as a teacher a few years ago, so is studying once again in college to pursue his real dream. He told me some funny stories about how he's now in college with the kids he used to teach, and they still keep calling him 'sir' and asking him to sort out their disputes. I walked past him while he was interviewing later on and it seemed like he was getting on really well, so I really hope he got the place. He definitely deserved it.

Anyway, to my interview. The tutor I was with was so lovely. We chatted about my work, his work, and the work of current and past students. Some of the students have created some seriously amazing work, honestly. Flicking through their briefs and their responses was really enlightening. He really loved a lot of my work, the low poly work in particular, and said that I have a very dynamic personality and that he could really see me fitting in well at Huddersfield. He gave me an offer there and then. He showed me out, we shook hands, and I took myself exploring for a little while. I wanted to see where I could end up studying a little closer up!

That's where I'd be studying. Isn't it lovely? It was a lovely warm day, and the campus just looked so inviting. I could really see myself lounging around before lectures, and taking breaks between work.

Next up: Nottingham Trent!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)

On Friday 3rd February, I had my first university interview at the University of Huddersfield for Animation and Graphic Design. Exciting stuff! I was quite nervous about this the night before, but everyone in MHSS managed to calm me down :laugh: On the day, waiting for the interview, I actually wasn't nervous at all. I have since learned that university interviews can be really fun if you let them

My interview was in the morning, and the university is quite far, so it was a pretty early morning! I donned my smartest outfit and set off for Huddersfield. When we drove by the uni, it was pretty overwhelming. It looks quite big, and just so pretty. It's not like driving up to college where it's a pretty standard building, medium sized, and there's lots of bored looking people around. At the University of Huddersfield, everyone looked really happy to be there. People smiled at me as I walked through the campus, and when I arrived for my interview, an hour early may I add, the woman greeting interviewees helped me find somewhere to get a drink and freshen up before my interview.

When I sat down in the waiting area, a girl interviewing for a similar course sat next to me. She commented on my tattoo and asked where I got it. Turns out we both have roses by the same guy! It's weird, because we'd both travelled out to Manchester to get them despite neither of us living there. She also has another by him and it's so so nice. We got chatting, and she was so easy to talk to. She was interviewed before me, and it seemed like her interview went really well. We wished each other luck and off she went.

Next, I got chatting to a guy in his 30s. He was really interesting, and I really admired his passion and determined attitude. He has children, so has struggled fitting in study, but feels like now is the right time. He's on an access course at the moment, and wants to be a concept artist for video games. He was made redundant from his job as a teacher a few years ago, so is studying once again in college to pursue his real dream. He told me some funny stories about how he's now in college with the kids he used to teach, and they still keep calling him 'sir' and asking him to sort out their disputes. I walked past him while he was interviewing later on and it seemed like he was getting on really well, so I really hope he got the place. He definitely deserved it.

Anyway, to my interview. The tutor I was with was so lovely. We chatted about my work, his work, and the work of current and past students. Some of the students have created some seriously amazing work, honestly. Flicking through their briefs and their responses was really enlightening. He really loved a lot of my work, the low poly work in particular, and said that I have a very dynamic personality and that he could really see me fitting in well at Huddersfield. He gave me an offer there and then. He showed me out, we shook hands, and I took myself exploring for a little while. I wanted to see where I could end up studying a little closer up!

That's where I'd be studying. Isn't it lovely? It was a lovely warm day, and the campus just looked so inviting. I could really see myself lounging around before lectures, and taking breaks between work.

Next up: Nottingham Trent!
    What a great post chelseadagg3r - we can see a career in blogging ahead for you Really great to hear your day on campus went well. We hope to welcome you back in September!

Sarah - UoH
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

My interview at Nottingham Trent University was on Monday 6th February. I was really nervous for this one because I'd read that I didn't have great chances of getting in, and I really loved the idea of being able to live in Nottingham. I really wanted an offer from them because this was my dream university, really. I just felt like I'd be able to slot right in.

My interview was at 1:30pm, but it being a couple of hours away and me not knowing the public transport system well I wanted to be there nice and early. I got into Nottingham at about 11:30am and parked at the train station. It took a while to find the tram station from there, and figure out what tickets I needed and which side to catch the tram on. I managed though! I was only waiting a couple of minutes before the tram pulled up, and I chatted to some locals while I was riding it. They were all really nice and showed me where different things were, and helped me get off at the right stop. The tram stop I needed was right in the middle of NTU which is really amazing. I have mobility issues and really struggle getting around, and Nottingham is just perfect for me. I'd be able to live right by the tram stop, and right by the building I'd be learning from. How great is that? I'd also be just steps away from a huge library that's open 24 hours a day. I was really amazed by all this, coming from a tiny little town with not trains, no trams and no proper busses or anything. Everything was just so easy to get to. Even having a bad day with my back I was able to get around, and only had to stop to rest once, and that was because it started raining and I had no jacket so everything started to hurt then

I found the building I was interviewing in really quickly, and realised I had about 90 minutes to go. I didn't want to show up too early, so I just explored the surrounding area. It was quite cold, but there were still students around. There were benches everywhere, and it was nice to be able to see everything. The building was so pretty.

When I finally entered the building, with about 45 minutes to go, the students there helping show people around were lovely. We had a quick chat, and she gave me a bit of information. I moved to sit down and wait, and by this time no one was there. With about 15 minutes to go, the place was packed. When prospective animation students got called to interview, there were surprisingly few of us. I know that it's not a particularly popular course, but there were so many people there that I did expect a few more. Anyway, we all took a short tour around the facilities. They were really great, and I could definitely see myself getting a lot of use out of them. I sat down and had a chat with a technician who was really lovely, and she told me about her job and the great features of the department. There were to current first-year students with us who were helping run the interview days, and I was able to ask them questions about contact hours, the kind of work they do, and the kind of societies that might be of interest to me as a student there. They seemed a bit nervous at first, and I don't blame them because everyone was just really quiet and it was quite awkward, but once we started chatting everyone seemed to warm up a bit. We joked a little, and they were really really nice. They gave me some tips for the interview as well which was really kind of them!

We all waited in a room together while people were taken to interview individually. Instead of just sitting around for ages, the technician put a film on for us. She put on 'The Little Prince' on Netflix. I'd been wanting to see it since it came out, so I was very very pleased. I was in awe of the film, so was actually a bit disappointed when I was called into interview about half way through. (I did finish it at home though, and it was amazing!) There were two people there, and one was the course leader. I'm not sure who the lady was, but she was lovely. We agreed on a lot of things, and she was quite chatty so we had a lot to talk about. I walked them through my portfolio, and they had a flick through my sketches. The course leader didn't seem so keen on my drawings and I started to worry because I was so desperate for this offer. I didn't show it though, and told him the steps I was taking to improve. He seemed pleased with this, and after a bit more talking about what I wanted to do in the future and the industry in Nottingham the interview was over. I shook hands with them both and we said our goodbyes, and I showed myself out. They did offer to send one of the first years with me, but they looked really into the film and getting to show myself out meant I could do a bit more nosying around as well! On my way back down to meet my mum, I got to take a decent look at some of the stuff students had been working on. It was all really impressive, and you can see through their work that they're really passionate about what they're doing. I wasn't told whether I'd be getting an offer or not, so I was quite nervous all evening. I tried not to set my heart on it, but it was really difficult.

When I found my mum (and the dog), we hopped back on the tram and headed for the city centre. We found this amazing world cuisine buffet (which we totally didn't end up spending 4 hours at) and decided to eat there. I'd been in the interview for a lot longer than I thought, and it was getting towards tea time. We tried all kinds of amazing foods, and it definitely took my mind off waiting for a decision. When we left it was dark and raining, but luckily we remembered the way back to the tram stop. We only had to wait seconds before a tram pulled up, and we were taken right back to the car park. It still amazes me how accessible a city Nottingham is!

By the time we left, I was exhausted. It'd been a really long day. I was also sopping wet thanks to the rain. My dog was exhausted as well, and we had to carry him to the car because he'd fallen asleep on the tram and was too tired to walk. We learned on that day that he's scared of trams, escalators, and lifts. By the end of the day though, he was too tired to care.

I heard back a couple of days later, on the toilet no less, and I'd been given an offer! I was so happy, and couldn't stop smiling. I was really proud of myself, because the UCAS offer predictor had given me a 20% chance of an offer. So far, I'm thinking it'll be my firm choice. I've already looked into accommodation and honestly, everything there just feels like it was made for me.

Next up: University of Salford!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Monday was the first day back at college after half term (and a week before that off sick oops), and I was feeling very tired and not particularly motivated. A girl in my class, Maddi, really got me feeling a bit more motivated though. I was able to power through quite a lot of work and I actually made some really good progress on my film studies essays. Film studies is a uni I'm doing independently because the rest of my class covered it in their first year, whereas in my first year I did a unit they're doing this year. It's a little complicated

Anyway, after a really productive day I was so tired. I fell asleep nice and early, completely forgetting a piece of work I had to do, and woke up ready for my second day back.

On Tuesday, I was reminded of this piece of work I'd forgotten. Oops. I had to write and present a pitch at home about an awareness film I'm making, and have it handed in by Wednesday morning. I finished college at 5pm, and was out shopping ready to go to London for the weekend until about 8:30pm, so I didn't have a lot of time on my hands. It took me a couple of hours to calm down enough to do it as well, because I was really nervous about recording myself. I hate being on camera. That's probably something I should've thought about before taking a TV and Film course :laugh: Anyway, long story short I got it done. It looks really bad because it was done at 1am and there's loads of noise from my hamster running in his wheel and my cat cleaning herself in the background, my makeup was a mess, and I was also really desperate for the toilet. It was difficult to do because I had the presentation on my laptop, my notes on an iPad, and was recording with my phone. Having to manage all these devices was a massive pain, but I managed it. Just as I hit the stop button on the recording, my phone and iPad died. There was no redoing it at that point, because I'd have been up all night, so I just charged my phone enough to hand it in. I haven't watched it back, but I'm sure it's not quite what my tutor was expecting. Oh well It still meets the brief!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

I'm very nearly finished with my multi camera unit! I've done all of the writing work. All that's left is to record a multi-camera production. We're doing a little gameshow, and we did a rehearsal the other day. It went really well.

The big black box on the left is the vision mixer, which I'll be working on. All of the cameras feed into it, so I can switch between shots at the press of a button. It'll all be recorded through it, so it's quite a big job! The green area is the studio. It's all green screens so we can change up the background later. We're using 3 cameras in there, and there's a lot of lighting as well. It's really fun to set up. There's always some technical difficulties at the beginning because someone who was in there before us hasn't put something back right, or has messed up a load of wires, so we have to do a lot of problem solving to get anywhere. It does require a good amount of teamwork as well, so I feel safe in knowing that I'm learning a lot of important skills on the course.

I'm looking forward to doing the real thing! Hopefully it all goes smoothly and we don't have to repeat the gameshow to get it recorded :crossedf:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.