The Student Room Group

A month in August - WHERE?

So here's the run down.

I'm 19, my friends have gone to uni and are in second year; I'm going to Leeds next year. My friends at work aren't really the type I want to travel with, and my friends at uni aren't gonna have the money to come.

I want to go away for the whole of August. somewhere hot, but interesting. Not Costa del Sol.

Morocco was my initial thoughts but I've been warned as I'm gay (not obviously, and I wouldn't be flaunting it or going on the pull!) And that it's not particularly stable?

Any ideas where's cheap(ish) and got a completely different cultures (and hot. Heat is the priority)
Reply 1
My friends did a few weeks in Zante a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's in Greece so heat wouldn't be a problem and the nightlife is really good there.
Reply 2
South east Asia
Reply 3
All depends on your budget and what you like doing.

The gay thing wouldn't be a problem in Morocco actually some parts of it are gay friendly however a month in Morocco could be quite intense for a solo traveller with all the people trying to haggle with you and August is the hottest month with temps inland regularly exceeding 40 degrees. No matter how much someone loves the heat that's never comfortable.

It's worth noting that in August the whole of Europe south from Berlin is warm/hot so you could do a backpacking trip. The Balkans are hot, cheap and very interesting.
India! You'll get to experience the widest range of cultures if you travel around here for a month. Also, your pounds will go far here as the rupee is weaker. It should be over 30 degrees Celsius so that's hot but not enough to cause damage.
If you'd like to know more, I'd be happy to help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest