Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP!! which university offer do i make my firm, and what about accommodation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have received university offers from my two favourites uni's to study Psychology - Loughborough and Sheffield Hallam.

I am aware that Loughborough is the better university, but the grades are a lot higher and it is a smaller town. Sheffield Hallam on the other hand, is the lesser university, however they have given me an unconditional (providing i make them my firm choice) that takes a lot of pressure off, is a bigger city and i think i might enjoy my time there more.

I know Loughborough will probably put me at best stead for future career prospects (?), but if I dont get the grades to get in - how do i sort accommodation for Sheffield? I'm quite fussy so this is important to me - but i know i cant have my cake and eat it!

I am also out of the country on results day. What is the process i will need to go through to confirm places / sort accomodation / finances?

Any advice on which uni, what to do about accommodation, and what to do about being out of the country would be very appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    Unconditionals are more for marketing than for anything else. Yes, it's unconditional, but look at why it's unconditional. It's unconditional because they KNOW you can do better.

And if that isn't motivation to take the Lboro offer then I don't know what is!

ReputationRep:
    Firm Loughborough, and work hard to get the grades you need.

You're going to be paying £9000 a year for this degree - it's only worth it if you'll have decent career prospects at the end.

Plus, have you seen how ugly the Sheffield Hallam building is?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethjohnson)
    I have received university offers from my two favourites uni's to study Psychology - Loughborough and Sheffield Hallam.

I am aware that Loughborough is the better university, but the grades are a lot higher and it is a smaller town. Sheffield Hallam on the other hand, is the lesser university, however they have given me an unconditional (providing i make them my firm choice) that takes a lot of pressure off, is a bigger city and i think i might enjoy my time there more.

I know Loughborough will probably put me at best stead for future career prospects (?), but if I dont get the grades to get in - how do i sort accommodation for Sheffield? I'm quite fussy so this is important to me - but i know i cant have my cake and eat it!

I am also out of the country on results day. What is the process i will need to go through to confirm places / sort accomodation / finances?

Any advice on which uni, what to do about accommodation, and what to do about being out of the country would be very appreciated!!!
    At the end of the day, it is about what YOU want. Check the course structures, check out the student life, take a look at the facilities and opportunities they'll provide you with.
    And don't worry too much about their ranking - you will get the same degree and employers will look at your score rather than where you get your degree from. Besides, if you move onto master's, that's when the university's brand name will start counting.

Just listen to your heart (cliched, I know) and do what you think is best for yourself.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    Unconditionals are more for marketing than for anything else. Yes, it's unconditional, but look at why it's unconditional. It's unconditional because they KNOW you can do better.

And if that isn't motivation to take the Lboro offer then I don't know what is!
    That's true - but then i worry what i will do if i DONT do better?

Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver001)
    At the end of the day, it is about what YOU want. Check the course structures, check out the student life, take a look at the facilities and opportunities they'll provide you with.
    And don't worry too much about their ranking - you will get the same degree and employers will look at your score rather than where you get your degree from. Besides, if you move onto master's, that's when the university's brand name will start counting.

Just listen to your heart (cliched, I know) and do what you think is best for yourself.

Good luck!
    Well I'm going to an applicant day at Loughborough next week so hopefully that will help me decide - although you are now tempting me to accept my unconditional!!

Thank you so much for your help and advice

ReputationRep:
    That's true - but then i worry what i will do if i DONT do better?

Thank you so much for your help!
    You could email them asking them to make you a regular offer that you can insure rather than this 'unconditional if you firm' stuff that a lot of unis are doing. You could always have a different uni as your insurance too?

ReputationRep:

I agree with silver, you need to look at the whole picture to decide which uni to firm and which to insure. With regards to accomodation at your insurance choice, some unis let you apply for halls, some don't, you can call up just on/after results day and see if they have any spare places in halls, some unis definitley won't in which case you would need to find private accomodation. Some universities organise househunting days, in others its left up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I agree with silver, you need to look at the whole picture to decide which uni to firm and which to insure. With regards to accomodation at your insurance choice, some unis let you apply for halls, some don't, you can call up just on/after results day and see if they have any spare places in halls, some unis definitley won't in which case you would need to find private accomodation. Some universities organise househunting days, in others its left up to you.
    what do you mean by looking at the whole picture? I'm trying to be realistic as to what I am expecting on results day, and I dont think itll be AAB that i need for Loughborough, even ABB is probably pushing it!

contemplating just accepting my unconditional so it can all be sorted...

Thank you for your advice, very helpful and good to know actually!!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    SHU will let you apply for accommodation if you are holding them as Insurance, you just won't get so much choice. But they do have a huge range of accommodation, plus as you say it is a bigger city, known for cheap student living, with another uni in the city there is lots of choice. Also it is right next to the peak district.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by looking at the whole picture? I'm trying to be realistic as to what I am expecting on results day, and I dont think itll be AAB that i need for Loughborough, even ABB is probably pushing it!

contemplating just accepting my unconditional so it can all be sorted...

Thank you for your advice, very helpful and good to know actually!!

Beth
    as in everything like course content, location, facilities not just the actual offer grades or unconditional

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.