Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've beeen following a low of study track whatever things lately and they've moticated me to persevere with my AS levels and now i have decided to create my own.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Day
    Maths

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

About myself
    I am a Year 12 student from the North east region.

Subjects
    AS OCR MEI Maths
    AS OCR MEI Further Maths
    AS AQA Biology
    AS AQA Chemistry
    AS AQA Physics

Future
    I intend to apply for the respective medicine courses at the following universities:

Cambridge
    Edinburgh
    UCL
    Newcastle
    Glasgow - Biomedicine

Work Expirience
    I am wishing to go to India and do 4 weeks of medical work expirience there so i get a more hands on apporach with the field. However, it does cost a hefty price of £2000 for which my parents have said they are prepared to pay half of. However this means that ill need to find some means of raising the rest of this money so ive taken a part-time job and have also set up a crowd funding page to also help. If you can show some support please do so:

https://gogetfunding.com/helping-med...ople-in-india/

ReputationRep:
    Woow you go girl! That's an impressive amount of subjects you've got there! Good luck you'll get it!!

ReputationRep:
    Himtiaz
    Your profile looks great so far, for Edinburgh and Newcastle a lot will likely ride on your UKCAT. Just a quick question, why take FM when most med uni's w;ll not consider it alongside Maths and why take an extra 2 A-levels?

India placement looks awesome, however it is necessary to have other types of experience and the key thing is your reflection. don't feel like you have to go somewhere expensive as it will not be advantageous in your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Himtiaz
    Your profile looks great so far, for Edinburgh and Newcastle a lot will likely ride on your UKCAT. Just a quick question, why take FM when most med uni's w;ll not consider it alongside Maths and why take an extra 2 A-levels?

India placement looks awesome, however it is necessary to have other types of experience and the key thing is your reflection. don't feel like you have to go somewhere expensive as it will not be advantageous in your application.
    Im only taking it for AS level as i had already done most of the maths AS level teaching during gcse level. I will be dropping further maths AS level at A2 and maybe another not too sure about that yet.

In regards to work expirience, i am doing the India trip as an extra almsot as a sort of gap year. I have arranged for shodowing in the UK and volunteering in a care home. I have also applied for medical summer schools and things of that sort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    Im only taking it for AS level as i had already done most of the maths AS level teaching during gcse level. I will be dropping further maths AS level at A2 and maybe another not too sure about that yet.

In regards to work expirience, i am doing the India trip as an extra almsot as a sort of gap year. I have arranged for shodowing in the UK and volunteering in a care home. I have also applied for medical summer schools and things of that sort
    Ah ok that's fair enough, just so you know only one uni as far as i know (Barts) will take into consideration doing more than three A-levels, so don't feel as though you have to take more.

Shadowing and volunteering is great and a few placements will be enough as long as you can reflect well on the experience, the summer schools won't really help with your application (ie you probably shouldn't put them on your PS) but they are good in terms of an introduction and insight to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Ah ok that's fair enough, just so you know only one uni as far as i know (Barts) will take into consideration doing more than three A-levels, so don't feel as though you have to take more.

Shading and volunteering is great and a few placements will be enough as long as you can reflect well on the experience, the summer schools won't really help with your application (ie you probably shouldn't put them on your PS) but they are good in terms of an introduction and insight to medicine.
    What expireince did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    What expireince did you do?
    I had a decent amount, but you don't really need this much:
    - 2 weeks at two GP surgeries
    - A few days in hosptial at different departments
    - A week shadowing an Orthopaedic surgeon
    - A week in a minor surgery abroad
    - A week shadowing med students

For voluntary work i did 2 years in a care home and about a year in a youth club, also went on a residential for Gold DOFE with revitalise ( i really reccomend this if your doing Gold DOFE, it kills two birds with one stone) and other ec's like sport, prefect ect.

ReputationRep:
    sh*t only 100 days, I best revise

ReputationRep:
    Day 99
    Maths
    Finished exercise 4A on FP1 relating to identities
    Biology
    Completed exam questions on tranaslation
    Made notes on gas exchange in insects
    Chemistry
    Finished practical write up of the effect of temperature on rate of reaction
    Started mindmap on organic functional groups and the different mechanisms
    Physics
    - - - - -

I also called my local blood bank today and it seems like they might let me volunteer there for a couple of weeks so something is better than nothing

ReputationRep:
    Moved to "Grow Your Grades"

ReputationRep:
    Day 80
    Its been a while since i've posted an update. I've been to New York for the half term holidays so havent done much these holidays except catch up on homework
    Maths
    Finished chapter 4 of FP1 on roots of polynomials
    Made notes and finished an exercise of drawing rational graphs (Exercise 3A)
    Questions of forces in equilibrium (M1 - Exercise 7B)
    Biology
    Made a poster on meiosis and read ahead on the biodiversity topic.
    Made written notes on species and taxonomy
    Chemistry
    Revision for organic chemistry test tomorrow
    Physics
    Summary questions 10.1,10.2,10.3 - kinetic and potential energy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.