Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going out for my first drink Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I am just about 19 and have never been drunk before. I've had a couple of drinks before at home but never had enough to make me drunk.

There is this girl I have been friends with for months and we went out for tea last week and I had a wine with her but we ended up having to cut it short. Anyway we were talking in the car and she said to me since we cut it short she would like to take me out for a drink and she said "we'll have to get you drunk" so it looks like it will be some heavy drinking.

I know this sounds extremely lonely and sad but should I buy myself a bottle of Jack Daniels or something and get drunk this weekend by myself since there is no one home so I can know what it's like?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll find drinking and getting drunk by yourself a very pleasurable experience. Mainly people wanting to go drinking for the social experience and for the fact it takes away your inhibitions. But, do not feel pressured into drinking and getting drunk if you're not comfortable. Some people just don't like getting drunk. I used to drink then decided the lack of inhibition lead me to behave in ways that I later found embarrassing and awkward but, obviously, not everyone has those experiences, plus, for me, I hated the hang overs.
    Anyway, feeling like you have to get drunk when you go out with your friends can feel stressful, in fact I have a friend who just this past weekend told her mates that she wasn't going to take shots and get drunk at pres anymore. You said I'll have a glass or two of wine and that is it and then we can go out and I might have a drink but I"m not getting ripped. Her choice and her friends respected that. It took a lot of pressure of my friend knowing her mates really didn't care if she was getting drunk or not. So, go out and have as much fun as you'd like but don't feel pressured. Your friend already knows you haven't gotten drunk before so I don't think there is a need to try getting drunk on your own first. But, I would gage how well you know your friend and if she's someone you feel comfortable getting drunk for your first time with.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest I love socially drinking and as a result thereof have been a number of times where me or one of my mates has literally had to be carried home and has also led to us all having a number of awesome funny and often embarrassing drunken adventureso. However I have recently decided to stop getting drunk when we go out cos 1 it's getting bloody expensive and 2 I realized if we all get fairly drunk then no one is going to be responsible if something particularly stupid happens so really it's up to you just make sure that if u do get drunk your with somebody you can trust who'll look after you

ReputationRep:
    Think best thing to do is leave it. Don't want my first memory of being drunk to be getting drunk at home by myself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.