Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like honestly...I don't even wear makeup most of the time because it's just too expensive! How do people manage to buy all these products from big brands on a uni budget?? After food, accommodation, and travel costs in the US, I can barely afford to buy myself a new shirt on sale, let alone $50+ in makeup!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Part time jobs, scholarships, generous parental help or they may be using dupes and you're not aware!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toridor324_)
    Like honestly...I don't even wear makeup most of the time because it's just too expensive! How do people manage to buy all these products from big brands on a uni budget?? After food, accommodation, and travel costs in the US, I can barely afford to buy myself a new shirt on sale, let alone $50+ in makeup!
    Hi there!

Whenever a beauty product is by a famous brand, they tend to cost a lot more than products which are of unknown brands. So if you would like to buy makeup, I would suggest to buy the products which may not necessarily be brands of which you have heard of before, but they are probably just as good!

Hope this helps! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba17)
    Hi there!

Whenever a beauty product is by a famous brand, they tend to cost a lot more than products which are of unknown brands. So if you would like to buy makeup, I would suggest to buy the products which may not necessarily be brands of which you have heard of before, but they are probably just as good!

Hope this helps! X
    See, unfortunately, when I do buy makeup it's drugstore brands because it's so much cheaper than the others! I think a lot of personal care items are still too overpriced, though. Like, honestly, I hate the feeling of having to choose between food or something like makeup, because you know what the choice is going to be!

Unfortunately, I could save so much money if I wasn't allergic/sensitive to everything as well. I'm lactose intolerant so I have to spend ~$8 a month on supplements to help with that. Plus, I'm sensitive to sulfates in shampoo/conditioner, so I have to buy sulfate-free (which often comes with a much higher price tag!). I also have to buy a certain brand of laundry detergent. Honestly, I can't wear the makeup I currently buy too often because it irritates my skin...probably because of the sulfates.

I've heard that the more "expensive" brands have less sulfates, parabens, etc; I was hoping that someone could give me some tips on how to get them for a bit cheaper, or drugstore brands that may not be filled with this filler crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Part time jobs, scholarships, generous parental help or they may be using dupes and you're not aware!
    I'm hoping to pick up a part time job once I start uni in the UK...for now I can't for personal reasons.

Unfortunately, a lot of the money will have to go towards paying off the ridiculous student loans I'm going to have to take (overseas fees..ugh), but I hope I come out with enough to at least be able to keep a bit each paycheck for myself.

ReputationRep:
    See, unfortunately, when I do buy makeup it's drugstore brands because it's so much cheaper than the others! I think a lot of personal care items are still too overpriced, though. Like, honestly, I hate the feeling of having to choose between food or something like makeup, because you know what the choice is going to be!

Unfortunately, I could save so much money if I wasn't allergic/sensitive to everything as well. I'm lactose intolerant so I have to spend ~$8 a month on supplements to help with that. Plus, I'm sensitive to sulfates in shampoo/conditioner, so I have to buy sulfate-free (which often comes with a much higher price tag!). I also have to buy a certain brand of laundry detergent. Honestly, I can't wear the makeup I currently buy too often because it irritates my skin...probably because of the sulfates.

I've heard that the more "expensive" brands have less sulfates, parabens, etc; I was hoping that someone could give me some tips on how to get them for a bit cheaper, or drugstore brands that may not be filled with this filler crap.
    Oh sorry, I didn't realise that it irritates you skin. I don't have any more suggestions but I'm sure someone has the answer!

ReputationRep:
    Part-time job and scholarship is how I pay for my items. Without that, I definintely would not be able to buy makeup, let alone high-end makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba17)
    Oh sorry, I didn't realise that it irritates you skin. I don't have any more suggestions but I'm sure someone has the answer!
    Of course, there was no way of you knowing Probably should have mentioned that in my original post! Thank you for the advice regardless, I still should probably check the drugstores and see if I can find anything a bit lesser-known.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Part-time job and scholarship is how I pay for my items. Without that, I definintely would not be able to buy makeup, let alone high-end makeup.
    I'm really hoping to be able to get a part-time job once I actually get over to the UK and start uni there. If you don't mind me asking, what is the average wage?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really hoping to be able to get a part-time job once I actually get over to the UK and start uni there. If you don't mind me asking, what is the average wage?
    Student's tend to be paid minimum wage (working in retail, restaurants etc). This is around £7- £7.50 per hour. Part-time work as a uni student tends to be around 15 hours. If you are lucky and depending which sector you work in, you might find someone who pays much better hourly rates.

To put that into perspective...a high-end foundation is £30- £35. And high end mascara around £23. Although you can find drugstore options for under £10.

ReputationRep:
    Well, as a guy, I don't buy any.

In all seriousness - if you're spending such an amount of money on makeup that you have to ask how do you afford it, you're wasting away your money on nonsense. It's literally useless. A few minor items are reasonable, but anything beyond that is indicative of low intelligence, lack of economic self-interest or both.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy it anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Student's tend to be paid minimum wage (working in retail, restaurants etc). This is around £7- £7.50 per hour. Part-time work as a uni student tends to be around 15 hours. If you are lucky and depending which sector you work in, you might find someone who pays much better hourly rates.

To put that into perspective...a high-end foundation is £30- £35. And high end mascara around £23. Although you can find drugstore options for under £10.
    Thank you, this was so incredibly helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    Well, as a guy, I don't buy any.

In all seriousness - if you're spending such an amount of money on makeup that you have to ask how do you afford it, you're wasting away your money on nonsense. It's literally useless. A few minor items are reasonable, but anything beyond that is indicative of low intelligence, lack of economic self-interest or both.
    Right now, I haven't spent anything on makeup in almost a year. I wanted to get back into wearing a bit, but I still find it very expensive on my limited budget. So I was curious to see how other students are able to afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Don't buy it anymore
    That's exactly what I've been doing! Haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.