The Student Room Group

Cerazette: Haven't had a period in a year? Is this bad for my body?

Hi, I started Cerazette in September 2015, had erratic periods, and then in Feb 2016 they stopped completely.

I do not experience any side effects that I am aware of (gained abit of weight but I think thats just cos I eat more) and I do enjoy not having to deal with periods every month.

However, I do feel quite 'unnatural' that I don't have periods, and whether the fact I don't have periods means that my womb is dried out/built up with blood, or that I will struggle to get my fertility back, or that it could even conceal things like cervical cancer ? (or is that totally illogical?)

Is there any disadvantages to not having periods? Reassurance much appreciated
Cerazette has a higher dose of progesterone than many other progesterone-only 'mini pills'. This means you've a wider window in which to take it (about twelve hours rather than three) but also makes it even more likely that you won't ovulate. In this case, no ovulation means no period - the lining of the utereus was never built up.

Several other forms of hormonal contraception, such as the injection, also mean many users don't have more than minor spotting. In fact, when the combined pill was developed, the men behind it added the week's break so that women would have a 'withdrawal bleed', and be reassured that they weren't pregnant - that's the reason for it.

Apart from not having any 'I'm not pregnant' reassurance, the other disadvantage I can think of is if you like period sex...
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Cerazette has a higher dose of progesterone than many other progesterone-only 'mini pills'. This means you've a wider window in which to take it (about twelve hours rather than three) but also makes it even more likely that you won't ovulate. In this case, no ovulation means no period - the lining of the utereus was never built up.

Several other forms of hormonal contraception, such as the injection, also mean many users don't have more than minor spotting. In fact, when the combined pill was developed, the men behind it added the week's break so that women would have a 'withdrawal bleed', and be reassured that they weren't pregnant - that's the reason for it.

Apart from not having any 'I'm not pregnant' reassurance, the other disadvantage I can think of is if you like period sex...

If i stay on this pill for another 5-10 years and never have a period and therefore no build up of the lining of my uterus, is that at all damaging?
I also get abit paro about not being able to spot cervical cancer as the pain symptom is unusual bleeding, but i guess the bleeding is caused from other things not period blood.
Do u think its wise for me to take pregnancy tests because I don't have periods?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
If i stay on this pill for another 5-10 years and never have a period and therefore no build up of the lining of my uterus, is that at all damaging?
I also get abit paro about not being able to spot cervical cancer as the pain symptom is unusual bleeding, but i guess the bleeding is caused from other things not period blood.
Do u think its wise for me to take pregnancy tests because I don't have periods?

It shouldn't be damaging, but you can always talk to a pharmacist or the nurse at your next pill check.

You only need to use tests if you think there is a chance you might be pregnant. If you weren't on the pill I would suggest any time you don't use a condom, but since you are on the pill you should be covered as long as you take it properly So in your case I'd say only if you think you may have taken the pill at the wrong time or were on antibiotics etc AND didn't use a condom or if you are having symptoms of pregnancy like feeling sick and getting aches.

As far as not being able to spot cancer, you don't really need to worry as it's rare, but again you can ask a pharmacist or pill check nurse about other ways to tell and when it's worth being screened.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
It shouldn't be damaging, but you can always talk to a pharmacist or the nurse at your next pill check.

You only need to use tests if you think there is a chance you might be pregnant. If you weren't on the pill I would suggest any time you don't use a condom, but since you are on the pill you should be covered as long as you take it properly So in your case I'd say only if you think you may have taken the pill at the wrong time or were on antibiotics etc AND didn't use a condom or if you are having symptoms of pregnancy like feeling sick and getting aches.

As far as not being able to spot cancer, you don't really need to worry as it's rare, but again you can ask a pharmacist or pill check nurse about other ways to tell and when it's worth being screened.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Yes it did thanks! I don't use condoms as I have a bf and we are totally monogamous, but we 'pull out' anyway as an extra precaution.

I might take a test every 3 months or so to reassure myself!

No, it's not damaging, and yes, it's not period blood that can be a sign of cancer.

If you're worried about pregnancy, go for it. Pound shop / own brand tests are much cheaper than the big names. But the combination of the pill plus him not coming inside you mean they're going to say 'not pregnant' unless you are extremely unlucky.
Reply 6
Original post by unprinted
No, it's not damaging, and yes, it's not period blood that can be a sign of cancer.

If you're worried about pregnancy, go for it. Pound shop / own brand tests are much cheaper than the big names. But the combination of the pill plus him not coming inside you mean they're going to say 'not pregnant' unless you are extremely unlucky.

Thank you, yeah I have a whole bunch off amazon that cost 2 quid!
I was wondering if you know anything about another thing that I experienced today...I woke up with what felt like period cramps, except I do not have my period. It was quite uncomfortable and I assumed I ate something weird so kept going back to the toilet but it wasn't that. On my journey to uni the cramps got even more uncomfortable, the typical twisting sensation but also the feeling that I need to pee when I don't! The pains stopped around 1pm, but now when I wee I have a slight burn sensation which goes away in seconds of it passing.

All very bizarre to me as It was definitely the same as period cramps, not a stomach ache. Not sure if you have any idea what this could be
It shocked me when I saw how cheap they are in bulk, given how expensive the big names are...

I've no idea - as ever, if you're worried see a doctor.
Thank you, yeah I have a whole bunch off amazon that cost 2 quid!
I was wondering if you know anything about another thing that I experienced today...I woke up with what felt like period cramps, except I do not have my period. It was quite uncomfortable and I assumed I ate something weird so kept going back to the toilet but it wasn't that. On my journey to uni the cramps got even more uncomfortable, the typical twisting sensation but also the feeling that I need to pee when I don't! The pains stopped around 1pm, but now when I wee I have a slight burn sensation which goes away in seconds of it passing.

All very bizarre to me as It was definitely the same as period cramps, not a stomach ache. Not sure if you have any idea what this could be

It is damaging. If a man doesn't get an erection for 5-10 years, is that normal?
I suggest you get of the pill and find something more natural.
Reply 9
It is damaging. If a man doesn't get an erection for 5-10 years, is that normal?
I suggest you get of the pill and find something more natural.

How is an erection the same thing? Erection doesn't equal fertility.
The ability to have an erection means you can have sex, and taking the pill doesn't stop a woman from getting aroused and having sex??????:confused:

If a man could take a pill to suppress the fertility of the sperm he ejaculates, maybe it could be comparable, but then again, no reason for it to be damaging... unless you have a legitimate reason.
Just ignore them.
Reply 11
I'm on Feanolla, which is essentially Cerazette, and I was quite severely anorexic, and didn't have periods for a very long time, pre-pill. I discussed this with my sexual health worker, and the main risk of no period is bone density, but the effect is absolutely minimal on POP, it's only depo injections that may have an adverse effect on bone density.
Reply 12
I stopped taking cerazette 6 weeks ago could I be pregnant or is this normal thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest