Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in applying for medicine at Scottish universities. I'm in fifth year and currently taking higher chemistry, biology, English, maths and economics. I got all As at National 5. We had a meeting today for medicine and dentistry applicants and the careers teachers said that advanced higher biology and chemistry were a requirement. I've looked on their websites and they say that you can take advanced higher chemistry, but it doesn't say it's a requirement? I really don't want to take advanced higher chemistry, could I get through if I had three advanced highers with economics, biology and English?

ReputationRep:
    Just had a look on some Scottish medical school websites and it looks like Advanced Higher Chemistry isn't necessarily required but it can affect the competitiveness of your application.

Plus, there is a reason that Chemistry A-Level (not advanced highers, I know) is required at every UK medical school and that's because it is a rigorous subject and it is important to medicine.

If you absolutely abhor chemistry then you might not want to bother as you're less likely to be motivated to do well, but it may reduce your chance of getting a place at medical school.

Hope that helps you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.