Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drake tells hijabi muslim fans to take their scarf off at a concert! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Iraq, obviously.
    Wrong. Coalition forces did not engage in deliberate, or mass, bombing of civilians.

If you think they did, please give specifics of the raids, their objectives, and the casualties involved. Remember that the war in Iraq was one of the most comprehensively covered and reported conflicts in history.

I am not denying that there were civilian casualties from air raids, sometimes way beyond "acceptable collateral damage" (personally, I think no level is "acceptable"), but very attack was supposedly aimed at military targets. Personally, I think the level of certainty of the intelligence used should have been higher to avoid such errors, but again, they were not deliberately targetting civilians. And there was no mass bombing.

So, if you are claiming that there have been examples of botched air-raids on supposed military targets that have led to civilian deaths, then I agree. And while such events cannot be completely eliminated during war (during Desert Storm, more British soldiers were killed by Americans than by Iraqis, FFS!), every effort should be made to keep them to a minimum. Again personally, I don't think that this has always happened with the US forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    You like to argue right?
    I like to correct erroneous assertions. If that starts an argument, so be it

ReputationRep:
    You like to argue right?
    Lol a lot of ur threads end up like this
    btw i dedicate my avatar to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Wrong. Coalition forces did not engage in deliberate, or mass, bombing of civilians.

If you think they did, please give specifics of the raids, their objectives, and the casualties involved. Remember that the war in Iraq was one of the most comprehensively covered and reported conflicts in history.

I am not denying that there were civilian casualties from air raids, sometimes way beyond "acceptable collateral damage" (personally, I think no level is "acceptable", but very attack was supposedly aimed at military targets. Personally, I think the level of certainty of the intelligence used should have been higher to avoid such errors, but again, they were not deliberately targetting civilians. And there was no mass bombing.

So, if you are claiming that there have been examples of botched air-raids on supposed military targets that have led to civilian deaths, then I agree. And while such events cannot be completely eliminated during war (during Desert Storm, more British soldiers were killed by Americans than by Iraqis, FFS!), every effort should be made to keep them to a minimum. Again personally, I don't think that this has always happened with the US forces.
    Operation shock and awe. Name says it all really. It was covered live in TV in central Baghdad missiles raining down for hours. They were not attacking military targets, they were just bombing the hell out of the city in general.

I really don't have the energy to go trawling for specifics but even Donald Trump says Iraq was a complete sham and the U.S got it VERY wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yh he is overrated he isn't even that good looking and his verses aren't even unique.
    Which rappers do you like?
    taylor swift JK I like joey badass, travis scott, kendrick lamar, tribe called quest, earl sweatshirt, tyler the creator, xxxtentacion, denzel curry, snoop dogg, Big L,Asap rocky, asap ferg, asap twellvy, asap nast, playboi carti etc. i got a pretty diverse taste in rap , I mean I ****s with drake but I could name so many better who are better in terms of talent and originality but drake is literally praised by some people so he gets way tooo many views. Views was hands down a **** album.

ReputationRep:
    Operation shock and awe. Name says it all really. It was covered live in TV in central Baghdad missiles raining down for hours. They were not attacking military targets, they were just bombing the hell out of the city in general.
    While I agree that Operation Shock and Awe resulted in unacceptable levels of civilian casualties (about 6000 over the course of the operation), all the several thousand strikes were targetted at military installations or infrastructure. None of them were deliberately targetted at civilians. (Remember that even Muhammad said that it was acceptable to accidentally kill women and children in the confusion of night raids - Bukhari 4:52:256)

I really don't have the energy to go trawling for specifics but even Donald Trump says Iraq was a complete sham and the U.S got it VERY wrong.
    You won't get an argument from me on that. It should never have happened. A collosal mistake.

However, that does not affect the argument that coalition forces deliberately targetted civilians with mass bombings. They didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Stay on topic or stop posting.
    S
    Well, you've put me in my place. :rolleyes:

I eagerly await a reply to my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    While I agree that Operation Shock and Awe resulted in unacceptable levels of civilian casualties (about 6000 over the course of the operation), all the several thousand strikes were targetted at military installations or infrastructure. None of them were deliberately targetted at civilians. (Remember that even Muhammad said that it was acceptable to accidentally kill women and children in the confusion of night raids - Bukhari 4:52:256)

You won't get an argument from me on that. It should never have happened. A collosal mistake.

However, that does not affect the argument that coalition forces deliberately targetted civilians with mass bombings. They didn't.
    You don't have to deliberately target civilians to ensure you kill civilians. If I'm a fighter pilot and there is a terrorist in a building full of civilians, my bomb is specifically to kill the terrorist, but that does not mean you are deliberately killing those civilians.

Regardless of what Islam says about causalities of war, the west does not live by Islamic morals so don't start taking the parts from our religion that suddenly suit you.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to deliberately target civilians to ensure you kill civilians. If I'm a fighter pilot and there is a terrorist in a building full of civilians, my bomb is specifically to kill the terrorist, but that does not mean you are deliberately killing those civilians.
    As a rule, if there is a terrorist in a building known to be full of civilians, a strike would not be authorised on that building. If they were, there would be few terrorists left alive now, and also many more civilian casualties than there have been.

Regardless of what Islam says about causalities of war, the west does not live by Islamic morals so don't start taking the parts from our religion that suddenly suit you.
    I didn't say that it suited me. I was just showing that the acceptability of accidental civilian casualties is a universal concept. I don't really agree with that concept though. Do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    I don't really agree with that concept though. Do you?
    Causalities are part of war I get that, but it's how much of an effort goes into making sure as few as possible die.

For example America recently conducted a raid in Yemen that killed like 30 civilians including an 8 year old girl who got shot in the neck.

I'd hardly call that "doing your best to avoid civilian deaths", would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    As a rule, if there is a terrorist in a building known to be full of civilians, a strike would not be authorised on that building. If they were, there would be few terrorists left alive now, and also many more civilian casualties than there have been.

I didn't say that it suited me. I was just showing that the acceptability of accidental civilian casualties is a universal concept. I don't really agree with that concept though. Do you?
    Causalities are part of war I get that, but it's how much of an effort goes into making sure as few as possible die.

For example America recently conducted a raid in Yemen that killed like 30 civilians including an 8 year old girl who got shot in the neck.

What's the final goal of this discussion? What are you two aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know why :sad:
    Aww your so cute mashallah :love:
    No flirting :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProphetsPath)
    What's the final goal of this discussion? What are you two aiming for?
    Exactly

(Original post by QE2)

Are you 2 happy that you derailed my thread?
    Are you happy that you discussed topics from yemen to terrorism to opression. You talked about every thing that is not related to the discussion.

ReputationRep:
    No flirting :naughty:
    Wallah never meant it in a flirty manner. Im not that type of girl believe me

ReputationRep:
    One quote to end this ridiculous thread.

ReputationRep:
    X
    Will you stop listening to Drake the Islamophobic?

ReputationRep:
    Also id like to thank all those who argued and went off topic. If it werent for you this thread would not have hit 14 pages in less than 48hrs. If it werent for you my thread wouldnt have trended on TSR for 2 days straight. If it werent for you guys my thread wouldnt have got 5000 views in 2 days.

:hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Will you stop listening to Drake the Islamophobic?
    Yh never liked him that much.

ReputationRep:
    Also id like to thank all those who argued and went off topic. If it werent for you this thread would not have hit 14 pages in less than 48hrs. If it werent for you my thread wouldnt have trended on TSR for 2 days straight. If it werent for you guys my thread wouldnt have got 5000 views in 2 days.

:hat2:
    Sorry sis these dudes are just relentless, they never give in.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry sis these dudes are just relentless, they never give in.
    So you argue with a wall? What is the point?

No offence to QE2 :grin:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.