Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drake tells hijabi muslim fans to take their scarf off at a concert! Watch

ReputationRep:
    If they were in fact Muslim, they shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    But they way Drake said 'y'all don't need to be wearing that s**t in here' was rude :unimpressed:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 283
Size:  243.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    totally didn't just copy it from twitter
    I recognised and shame on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProphetsPath)
    There are levels to sins and Allah defines what muslims are. There are certain sins which take you out of the fold of islam. In that situation, for some reason people require an explanation to know that they aren't following islam properly, other situations it's between the muslim and allah. But you really trying to equate going to a concert to killing people?? hmm okay
    I was merely pointing out what you had said. " Who are we to define who is and isn't a proper Muslim". Your words. Yet you are all quick to do EXACTLY that when there is a terrorist attack from someone who purports to come from the Muslim faith. You all say, "He isn't a proper Muslim or he wouldn't have committed such an act." Who are you, therefore to define whether he is or isn't a proper Muslim? Double standards .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I was merely pointing out what you had said. " Who are we to define who is and isn't a proper Muslim". Your words. Yet you are all quick to do EXACTLY that when there is a terrorist attack from someone who purports to come from the Muslim faith. You all say, "He isn't a proper Muslim or he wouldn't have committed such an act." Who are you, therefore to define whether he is or isn't a proper Muslim? Double standards .
    u just repeated the question m8. We don't define what a muslim is, saying whether their actions are according to islam or not isn't defining them. Read my previous reply.

ReputationRep:
    u just repeated the question m8. We don't define what a muslim is, saying whether their actions are according to islam or not isn't defining them. Read my previous reply.

Write best at the end of your posts. Get into character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    He has a right to tell somebody else to take their HIJAB of? :gasp:
    What are they doing at a drake concert first of.

Second I don't see proof he was talking to hijabs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    One of the benefits of free speech is that people can say whatever they want. And you are free to judge them on that, but you are not free to dictate what they can/cannot say.
    How about freedom to wear what you choose?

Why shouldn't she wear the hijab?
      You are suggesting it's silly to wear a hijab if you go to a concert, that's wrong.
      Who are we to define a 'proper muslim', everyone sins that doesn't mean one sin should be accompanied by another even bigger one. The sin is still really bad, and they should definitely not do it, but suggesting they should follow it with another one is ignorant.
      Forget it , you are not understanding my point..
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Twinpeaks)
      How about freedom to wear what you choose?
      Well he didn't strip them of their scarves, did he?

ReputationRep:
      But I thought that music was haram?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
      Well he didn't strip them of their scarves, did he?

No. And did the OP prevent Drake from expressing his opinion? Or show desire to?

You talk about freedom of speech, but you fail to see the irony here. You criticise the OP for criticising Drake, because "freedom of speech".

But using that logic, you are criticising the OP for expressing her own right to freedom of speech. If Drake is allowed to criticise hijabis, then the OP is allowed to express her unhappiness about it.

And this point is moot. Freedom of speech applies within reason.
      People face repercussions for threatening, or discriminatory, or inappropriate sexual language all the time.

ReputationRep:
      But using that logic, you are criticising the OP for expressing her own right to freedom of speech. If Drake is allowed to criticise hijabis, then the OP is allowed to express her unhappiness about it.
      The criticism of the OP is also another use of freedom of speech. Did anyone stop the OP expressing her dismay?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willy Pete)
      The criticism of the OP is also another use of freedom of speech. Did anyone stop the OP expressing her dismay?
      No ****. That's exactly the point I'm making :thumbsup:

The argument of "freedom of speech" is petty and completely useless, because they completely cancel each other out.

You simply cannot justify Drake using "freedom of speech". It doesn't work like that. People are allowed to express their negative responses just as much as Drake was allowed to express his negativity towards a religion.

Although, the latter is a little more ambiguous considering people do often face repercussions for racial discrimination, especially when in the public eye. No doubt an apology would soon follow suit.

Imagine the outrage if he told someone wearing a mask or motorbike helmet to take it off!

And yet its fine to tell a muslim to take their hijab off???
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        No. And did the OP prevent Drake from expressing his opinion? Or show desire to?

You talk about freedom of speech, but you fail to see the irony here. You criticise the OP for criticising Drake, because "freedom of speech".

People face repercussions for threatening, or discriminatory, or inappropriate sexual language all the time.
        You mentioned freedom of the hijabis to wear what they choose, and I merely stated that Drake did not go up to them and force their hijab off them. That would be an issue. But that didn't happen, and they were free to wear what they chose.

Where did I criticise OP? Do you just want to be offended? Read the rest of the thread please, particularly the first page:

He has a right to tell somebody else to take their HIJAB of?
        OPINIONS MY TSRians!!!!
        I expressed my opinion and defended the rapper's right to say what he wants.

You're overreacting. I can see the steam coming out of your nostrils.

ReputationRep:

The argument of "freedom of speech" is petty and completely useless, because they completely cancel each other out.

You simply cannot justify Drake using "freedom of speech". It doesn't work like that.
        I wouldn't call it justifying, what he did was clearly wrong (if it actually was a Muslim which I have seen no proof of). But he is within his right to say it.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

You simply cannot justify Drake using "freedom of speech". It doesn't work like that. People are allowed to express their negative responses just as much as Drake was allowed to express his negativity towards a religion.

Although, the latter is a little more ambiguous considering people do often face repercussions for racial discrimination, especially when in the public eye. No doubt an apology would soon follow suit.

:facepalm:

Do you think I was criticising OP? I said that people have the right to judge someone on what they say under their freedom of speech, but they don't have the right to dictate someone's exercise of that freedom. That's it.

That was my 'opinion' that OP asked for.

Nowhere did I categorically state that OP was wrong for being offended.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tahmim14)
        It really saddens me to think that most non Muslims think that the hijab is a sign of oppression where it is actually a symbol of your love for Allah :/
        And Allah is the ultimate oppressor.

The only thing more sad than a Muslim girl being forced to wear a hijab, is one wanting to wear it.

It's the ultimate brainwash.

ReputationRep:
        It really saddens me to think that most non Muslims think that the hijab is a sign of oppression where it is actually a symbol of your love for Allah :/
        Many Muslims think the hijab aims to desexualise women when it in fact does the opposite. It is the unequivocal statement that a woman is a sexual chunk of meat who must cover herself so that hordes of men don't go into orgy mode and start raping her.

ReputationRep:
        Man, it sucks that Muslim men hate Allah then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.