Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drake tells hijabi muslim fans to take their scarf off at a concert! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocrypha)
    The process is longer depending on where you live and its a bit case by case, if you're living in an area with a dense Muslim population such as certain areas of the country then western influence is a longer process than it would be in others, but generally when emigrating to a different culture, as generations go by, offspring will adhere to the culture of the country they're born and bred in.

It boils down to religion not being a part of a country's law making entities, if you're in a place where you can do something legally by law, but illegal by your religion, then over time you're more likely to do it given you wont be arrested, and you can just hide it from your family, church/mosque etc.

Most atheists/agnostic non religious people you meet in the UK are probably white/british, but chances are a few generations ago their families were religious, catholic/protestant etc..

I myself was born a catholic, had communion, but stopped going to church at around age 10, and now I engage in many things that would be deemed non catholic.

It's this fear of generational adaptation that has fringe groups in the country wanting to implement sharia law etc..
    Recent surveys of Muslims have suggested that the 16-25 age group are actually more conservative that their parents. It seems to be connected to the rise of Saudi financed Wahhabiism, especially on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Well if I catch them doing those things I'll put em on a plane to egypt... they'll soon learn to obey me. If you raise them with good morals and fear of Allah they will be good practising Muslims. I'm not talking about full on Saudi Arabia upbringing but I will teach them how to be a good Muslim.
    Why not just teach them to be good people, and let them make their own mind up about religion when they are old enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    A good parent does not indoctrinate their children. There is absolutely no need for kids under the age of, say, 14, to be taught anything about religion other than in a comparative, historical context. (But we all know why organised religion does not want this. They know that if children did not find out about Islam, Christianity, etc until they were 14 or 16 they would reject it as obvious nonsense.)

Teach them about the dangers of drink, drugs, unprotected sex, etc, by all means, but to tell a child that he can't have a hot dog because of his parent's medieval superstition is just unkind.
    I will teach them about the religion because I want them to be good Muslims and not to end up in jahannam.

The same way you will teach your children not to steal or assault people because you don't want them to go to prison. Or will you just let them do whatever the hell they want with no discipline at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Recent surveys of Muslims have suggested that the 16-25 age group are actually more conservative that their parents. It seems to be connected to the rise of Saudi financed Wahhabiism, especially on the internet.
    Source? or gtfo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahmim14)
    It really saddens me to think that most non Muslims think that the hijab is a sign of oppression where it is actually a symbol of your love for Allah :/
    >love of Allah
    Really makes you think, huh?
    So that's why woman in muslim countries can't drive, and barely have rights.
    So that's why they're forced to wear burkas and stuff?
    Hmmm...
    Really...
    Makes...
    You...
    Think...
    Amiright guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Why not just teach them to be good people, and let them make their own mind up about religion when they are old enough?

Why not just teach them to be good people, and let them make their own mind up about right and wrong when they are old enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    Wears a hijab for modesty, goes to the concert of a man who sings about sex.... makes sense
    Perhaps they were immature teens who didnt understand? Eitherway your right it didnt make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    >love of Allah
    Hmmm...
    Really...
    Makes...
    You...
    Think...
    Amiright guys?
    Did Islam says Muslim cant drive? Thats SAUDI ARABIA they dont want women to drive cause it gives them a sense of freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Sorry for randomly calling you out. But how are your children being exposed to divorced teachers really that bad? are they gonna assault the child?
    Given divorce really isn't a thing in countries with a high Muslim population, I had teachers talk about ex partners etc, the point is that everyone is exposed to what others deem as normal, in Muslim countries you're not gonna have teachers who are divorced openly talking about how they're now remarrying, as they'd probably be arrested or fired, but something like that is deemed normal in the west, see what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    Did Islam says Muslim cant drive? Thats SAUDI ARABIA they dont want women to drive cause it gives them a sense of freedom.
    So you're backing up a country that doesn't let women drive because of MUH FREEDOM, the same country that doesn't let refugees in, and the same country that sucks off America.

ReputationRep:
    Source? or gtfo.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...e-radical.html

http://iinanews.org/page/public/news...5#.WJtHavmLTIV

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/...tanks.religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Many Muslims think the hijab aims to desexualise women when it in fact does the opposite. It is the unequivocal statement that a woman is a sexual chunk of meat who must cover herself so that hordes of men don't go into orgy mode and start raping her.
    Firstly, many Muslims don't actually believe it is a form of 'desexualisation'. Even if they do, that's not what the main aim is of the hijab, there is a lot more significance to it. Unfortunately, most Muslims cannot actually explain it themselves.

One of the main reasons is, it is a form of identity - expressing your Islamic identity.

Secondly, wearing the hijab entails a lot of significant things, (that not all Muslims may carry out themselves, but is a requirement); truthfulness, trustworthiness, respect, integrity, strength etc. It also signifies to everyone else that this woman knows her worth, she knows her value and she is not a toy. She is not to be judged on how she looks. She, for herself and God, wants to preserve her modesty. It is not signifying that all men are mindless beings that cannot control themselves. In Islam, men also have a duty to dress modestly, and respect women by lowering their gaze, (i.e.: not staring) if they see an attractive woman.

Some may also argue that it is a way for women to be judged for what is in their minds, rather than on how they look - especially in the workplace. (Btw, I know someone will jump in so I'll say it now - no, Muslim women are not stopped from working in the first place. The Prophet's (pbuh) wife Khadija was a businesswoman, who employed HIM.)

Also, rape is an act of violence and hate, not sexual attraction - 60-year-old women get raped. I think what you're referring to is sexual assault. But sexual assault is not necessarily stopped by dressing in a certain way. It's to do with the attitude of people in society more than anything.

Hope this made sense and if it didn't I'm sure you won't hesitate from asking any questions.

Have a nice day and Peace.

ReputationRep:
    So you're backing up a country that doesn't let women drive because of MUH FREEDOM, the same country that doesn't let refugees in, and the same country that sucks off America.
    Im not backing Saudi Arabia! Why you putting ******** in my mouth?

ReputationRep:
    Im not backing Saudi Arabia! Why you putting ******** in my mouth?
    mud-slime

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they were immature teens who didnt understand? Eitherway your right it didnt make sense.
    you're

(Just trying to stop you sinning).

ReputationRep:
    Why not just teach them to be good people, and let them make their own mind up about right and wrong when they are old enough?
    That's essentially what I think everyone should do, but the rules to go by it shouldn't be so binding and strict, I could save a million lives tomorrow, but eat a bacon sandwich for breakfast that morning and take a girl to a Young Thug concert and smash her back doors in the night before. See what i'm saying?

ReputationRep:
    >love of Allah
    Hmmm...
    Really...
    Makes...
    You...
    Think...
    Amiright guys?
    The most ridiculous thing I've seen in this thread are people like yourself assuming that culture and religion are the same. When in many cases a lot of these people you are referring to, unfortunately, believe their backwards practices such as banning women from driving and forcing them to wear Burqas are actually rooted in religion. Or they use religion as an excuse to impose their cultural beliefs on people. This is why a lot of British Muslims are now realising this and separating religion from culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocrypha)
    That's essentially what I think everyone should do, but the rules to go by it shouldn't be so binding and strict, I could save a million lives tomorrow, but eat a bacon sandwich for breakfast that morning and take a girl to a Young Thug concert and smash her back doors in the night before. See what i'm saying?
    :eek: can you PLEASE not speak like that I am a muslim girl for goodness sake!

It's hard enough not to think about sex to begin with...

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: can you PLEASE not speak like that I am a muslim girl for goodness sake!

It's hard enough not to think about sex to begin with...

I don't get the point you're trying to make.
    The point is you can be a good person without having to be a member of a religion, and apologies, it was rude of me to provoke such thoughts in your head, however I view them in a different way to yourself hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Source? or gtfo.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6308683.stm
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...vative&f=false

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.