Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drake tells hijabi muslim fans to take their scarf off at a concert! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Why not just teach them to be good people, and let them make their own mind up about right and wrong when they are old enough?
    "Right and wrong" is part of being "good people". It is perfectly clear that you do not need religious belief to know the difference between right and wrong.
    In fact, religious belief clouds that very distinction, which is why some religious people think it is ok to keep slaves, beat their wives, rape captives, kill apostates, adulterers and homosexuals (all under certain conditions, or course).

You claim that without Islam you could not teach your children about right and wrong, yet with Islam, you can tell them that all the things in the above list are potentially acceptable. However, without Islam, I will be able to tell my children that all of those things are absolutely wrong, under any conditions. You cannot do this.
    Explain that.

ReputationRep:
    2007?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Did Islam says Muslim cant drive? Thats SAUDI ARABIA they dont want women to drive cause it gives them a sense of freedom.
    The reason for the Saudi driving ban is because the interpreters of fiqh claim that driving will lead women into situations where they may be exposed to, or susceptible to, haram actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    One of the benefits of free speech is that people can say whatever they want. And you are free to judge them on that, but you are not free to dictate what they can/cannot say.
    Then you have Donald Trump.

ReputationRep:
    Not my kids, I'ma smack em up
    That's horrific, why would you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    The reason for the Saudi driving ban is because the interpreters of fiqh claim that driving will lead women into situations where they may be exposed to, or susceptible to, haram actions.
    So wrong interpretation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goat Boy)
    That's horrific, why would you do that?
    Because children need to be disciplined... Don't tell me you've never been smacked by your parents.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: can you PLEASE not speak like that I am a muslim girl for goodness sake!

It's hard enough not to think about sex to begin with...

I don't get the point you're trying to make.
    The point he is making is that the rules are arbitrary and nonsensical.

A person could save many lives, as a gifted doctor, say, give all his spare money to good causes, be a wonderful human being but an atheist. He goes to hell for all eternity.

Someone else, born into a Muslim household, does no good at all, just prays and believes. He goes to heaven for ever.

Belief is accorded the greatest marks, according to your celestial referee, not behaving in a moral and good way.

Why would belief in one's creator be the biggest spiritual achievement, not a good moral character?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    I'm laughing because
    1. You think going to a music concert is bad, and
    2. You think people seeing your hair is bad.
    :rofl:
    Subhanallah, do you actively search for things like these to persistently comment on or is it a crazy coincidence that you happen to come across them each time?

1) Yes i, obviously, do find sins bad.
    2) If you find that funny you have some dead sense of humour.

(Original post by QE2)
    Jeez! Don't Muslims just get sick of constantly being told what to do, at great length, by other Muslims on the internet? It's almost like they don't want you to think for yourselves.
    And the endless flawed analogies and misrepresentations? Save me!
    One of the blessings in islam is that we are here to help each other and want the best for each other.

(Original post by QE2)
    Ah, so the hijab is compulsory. Women do not have a choice about wearing it, and in a True Islamic State™ wearing it would be enforced. Also, Allah is displeased with women who refuse to wear it.
    So tell me again about how it isn't a symbol of gender oppression?
    Also, in one of these videos NA Khan claims that it is OK to beat your wife (under certain conditions), so I'd be careful about holding him up as some kind of authority on Islam.
    Women should wear it, however if they choose not to wear it it's between them and allah. It's a sin not to wear it, simple.
    That's a lie, although i'm not surprised that you are resorting to purposefully misconstruing words.

ReputationRep:
    Because children need to be disciplined... Don't tell me you've never been smacked by your parents.
    Can't speak for the person you addressed, but no I was never smacked by my parents.

Nor have I ever smacked my children.

You don't need to physically beat a small defenceless human being to instill discipline. In fact if you do it you have utterly failed as a parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The point he is making is that the rules are arbitrary and nonsensical.

A person could save many lives, as a gifted doctor, say, give all his spare money to good causes, be a wonderful human being but an atheist. He goes to hell for all eternity.

Someone else, born into a Muslim household, does no good at all, just prays and believes. He goes to heaven for ever.

Belief is accorded the greatest marks, according to your celestial referee, not behaving in a moral and good way.

Why would belief in one's creator be the biggest spiritual achievement, not a good moral character?
    Because he is the creator of the universe, the reason you exists in the first place and he demands that you acknowledge him and obey him. In his eyes the biggest crime you can do is disbelieve in him... and associating others with him.

ReputationRep:
    Can't speak for the person you addressed, but no I was never smacked by my parents.

Nor have I ever smacked my children.

You don't need to physically beat a small defenceless human being to instill discipline. In fact if you do it you have utterly failed as a parent.
    Completely disagree, some kids just do not learn unless they get a few smacks every so often. I never forget that time my mother chased me up the stairs and gave me a few good strikes with her slipper... I never made that mistake again, of course I was much younger but I was terrified of that slipper! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Because he is the creator of the universe, the reason you exists in the first place and he demands that you acknowledge him and obey him. In his eyes the biggest crime you can do is disbelieve in him... and associating others with him.
    So it is a bigger crime to disbelieve in him than to kill your fellow human beings?

Wow. Have you thought about the implications of this?

In the world around you?

ReputationRep:
    oi, be nice.

Muslims should not be surrounding themselves with such an environment and yes, muslimahs have to cover their head... you know this.
    dw me and QE2 are basically best buddies considering how many lovely and friendly discussions we have had in the past.

However, I understand that QE2 doesn't believe in objective morality, and so 'nice' for him will always be subjective and almost always be undefined, objectively. Therefore he is unable to understand what being 'nice' actually means.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been hit by my parents, they found punishments that actually worked and didn't mentally scar me.

ReputationRep:
    Im actually shocked about some people's logic on TSR.
    Same
    People don't have simple logic these days. Drake was VERY disrespectful. I don't know whether the girls did or not but they probably did to not cause a commotion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahmim14)
    It really saddens me to think that most non Muslims think that the hijab is a sign of oppression where it is actually a symbol of your love for Allah :/
    Muslim men don't love Allah then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProphetsPath)

One of the blessings in islam is that we are here to help each other and want the best for each other.
    Yeah I have noticed a lot of that in the Middle East recently. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...”
    There are two issues about this sentence.
    What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?

Khumurخُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head.
    It is said to cover their breasts, not head. If God had wanted women to cover their head, he would have made it clear.

ReputationRep:
    So it is a bigger crime to disbelieve in him than to kill your fellow human beings?

Wow. Have you thought about the implications of this?

In the world around you?
    What implications? If you kill someone you go to prison. If I kill someone I risk going to the hellfire.

I'd say a Muslim is much less likely to kill than someone who is not Muslim.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.