Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My parents are separated and my Mum (whom I live with) is currently receiving child benefit and maintenance payments from my father every month for me, however these stop when I finish my full time education.

Is it recommended to declare these incomes in the application for university loans when they wont be valid in September when starting University?

Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethC-)
    Hi,

My parents are separated and my Mum (whom I live with) is currently receiving child benefit and maintenance payments from my father every month for me, however these stop when I finish my full time education.

Is it recommended to declare these incomes in the application for university loans when they wont be valid in September when starting University?

Thanks.
    Maintenance payments are technically YOUR unearned income (not your mums) and so wouldn't be in her taxable income for 2015/16 (and if they stop they wont be in your unearned income in 2017/18).

Child benefit isn't taxable unless your mum's income is above £50k (and so again it wouldn't be included).

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/s...orm_1617_d.pdf is last year's income form - looking through it might make it clearer what information your mum will be asked for.

SFE will want some proof that your mum and dad are separated - if they aren't divorced then a letter from your council showing that she gets single person discount on her council tax is the most common proof.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    My mum also gets maintenance payments from my dad for my younger brother.
    Would I have to declare these payments as part of the household income as they would continue a year into my course (until my brother turns 18)?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi BethC-

We would only require your mum to declare any taxable income that is declared to HMRC. Maintenance payments would only be taken into consideration if you were applying for any grants for dependents such as childcare grant.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.