Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"The Flexibility To Relocate" During Graduate Schemes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to participate in a graduate scheme, however I'm noticing that many of these talk about being willing to relocate during the scheme. I'm trying to understand exactly what that means, or if it might mean different things in different instances.

Does it mean?

1. The scheme will start at the specified location (near me) then might move around? In which case, could it be possible that the money I would be making could be used to fund living near the new location or location? Or would they provide accommodation?

2. The scheme could start at any particular location (where one isn't specified or it says U.K wide), in which case I would have to fund myself initially to live nearby if it was far away (initial deposit for a place etc).

3. That the distance between the original place and the other place or places of relocation isn't that large, in which case it is doable for most people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red101red101)
    I'm looking to participate in a graduate scheme, however I'm noticing that many of these talk about being willing to relocate during the scheme. I'm trying to understand exactly what that means, or if it might mean different things in different instances.

Does it mean?

1. The scheme will start at the specified location (near me) then might move around? In which case, could it be possible that the money I would be making could be used to fund living near the new location or location? Or would they provide accommodation?

2. The scheme could start at any particular location (where one isn't specified or it says U.K wide), in which case I would have to fund myself initially to live nearby if it was far away (initial deposit for a place etc).

3. That the distance between the original place and the other place or places of relocation isn't that large, in which case it is doable for most people.
    It means you might have to move locations during the course of the scheme.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Things like this usually mean one of two things. The programme works on a rotational basis, usually moving departments every 6-12 months. These departments could be based at other locations.

The work you do/the clients you work with could be based anywhere. And you may have to work on projects in those locations for periods of time.

The support you will get in terms of moving will vary depending on the organisation. Many will provide no financial support or accommodation. Others may provide a relocation allowance, while some will provide you with accommodation (the latter is typically seen in project work where you are in hotels/serviced apartments from Mon-Thurs).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks, guys
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the schemes, for my sector at least, talked about rotating placements too, where you'd be at a location for 6 months and then move to another at the end for ~4 different subplacements. It will vary a bit as to what exactly it means dependent on the job, however.

Essentially just expect that you'll have to move at some point if you got the job, as mentioned above.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.