Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by cbreef)
    That is such an insult :rofl:
    I'm glad me trying to put myself forward is causing great amusement for someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeaaaa I'm one of those insecure people who's just about to post vocaroo links of themselves attempting to sing because I'm like that

http://vocaroo.com/i/s05xoq5sCnU0
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s19DofpYO9LU

Also I've never really 'sung' in public before and I know I've messed up at least a dozen times so yeah, just warning you

Can this thread be kept in Everyday Issues btw? I really want to stay Anon :/
    You're pretty decent, no doubt
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, any suggestions for improvement?

One of my friends has a lisp...
    Tbh, the second one is kind of jarring, but I think that might be the accent mismatch. You sing like you're a Brit trying to imitate an American, when really you should be trying to rock your British accent. The first song works a lot better as that singer has an English accent too. I guess that's probably a pretty useless observation; sorry. :getmecoat:

I find when I sing my lisp is extremely noticeable. Also, when I was a kid singing in my bedroom my mum would come in laughing and told me I was awful. She did this so many times that I now never sing (the clip I just made myself is the first time in over 10 years). :sad:

(Original post by Dancatpro)
    You're pretty decent, no doubt
    I feel like there's a 'but...'

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Tbh, the second one is kind of jarring, but I think that might be the accent mismatch. You sing like you're a Brit trying to imitate an American, when really you should be trying to rock your British accent. The first song works a lot better as that singer has an English accent too. I guess that's probably a pretty useless observation; sorry. :getmecoat:

I find when I sing my lisp is extremely noticeable. Also, when I was a kid singing in my bedroom my mum would come in laughing and told me I was awful. She did this so many times that I now never sing (the clip I just made myself is the first time in over 10 years). :sad:
    :laugh: Yeah I don't know what was happening with the accents thing tbh.

:hugs: I get you because my sisters always sort of shut me down whenever I randomly sing, saying that I can't sing. But I suppose it's baby steps if you want to get back into singing and I guess making a clip for you to listen to is a good start? Idk

ReputationRep:
    no offence but you sound like you're about 4 years old

ReputationRep:

:hugs: I get you because my sisters always sort of shut me down whenever I randomly sing, saying that I can't sing. But I suppose it's baby steps if you want to get back into singing and I guess making a clip for you to listen to is a good start? Idk
    I've commented on this before
    But seriously, you can sing
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else, every voice is different

(Original post by The Stone)
    no offence but you sound like you're about 4 years old
    I would have thought 10 at the least but okay

(Original post by A-LJLB)
    I've commented on this before
    But seriously, you can sing
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else, every voice is different
    And I feel like I need to do more work to sound even half decent

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty good.
    Sounds like those 60s vintage songs.

ReputationRep:
    you're not bad btw, i was just making fun, it's so easy when someone puts themselves out there sorry

my only criticism is some notes you sound like you can't be bothered to sing them, whereas others you get really into. this might be a personal preference but i prefer consistency so maybe reduce the volume a bit so that you can put full effort into every note

keep at it

ReputationRep:

And I feel like I need to do more work to sound even half decent
    Trust me, you're good
    Take it from a singer, who is also very picky haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeaaaa I'm one of those insecure people who's just about to post vocaroo links of themselves attempting to sing because I'm like that

http://vocaroo.com/i/s05xoq5sCnU0
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s19DofpYO9LU

Also I've never really 'sung' in public before and I know I've messed up at least a dozen times so yeah, just warning you

Can this thread be kept in Everyday Issues btw? I really want to stay Anon :/
    You have a lovely voice, and I think it has a lot of potential - maybe try a different genre of music. The first two songs you posted are best sung by a "big voice" (those who are great at belting etc) but I reckon your voice would probably suit more acoustic, quieter songs... maybe try "I cant help falling in love with you" by elvis presley or something along those lines. I also think your vibrato could have a bit of practice. You sing quite nicely in tune which is a lot better than most people out there who haven't had lessons! Just experiment with songs, watch some youtube videos etc, maybe join a choir, and you'll see how your voice progresses

(Original post by Antigonus)
    Sounds pretty good.
    Sounds like those 60s vintage songs.
    Lmao none of the songs I chose are vintage but thanks I guess?

(Original post by The Stone)
    you're not bad btw, i was just making fun, it's so easy when someone puts themselves out there sorry

my only criticism is some notes you sound like you can't be bothered to sing them, whereas others you get really into. this might be a personal preference but i prefer consistency so maybe reduce the volume a bit so that you can put full effort into every note

keep at it
    It's fine my reply was kind of light-hearted too

But okay, I'll give that a try, thank you!

(Original post by A-LJLB)
    Trust me, you're good
    Take it from a singer, who is also very picky haha
    Then thanks I guess?

(Original post by Bezoar)
    You have a lovely voice, and I think it has a lot of potential - maybe try a different genre of music. The first two songs you posted are best sung by a "big voice" (those who are great at belting etc) but I reckon your voice would probably suit more acoustic, quieter songs... maybe try "I cant help falling in love with you" by elvis presley or something along those lines. I also think your vibrato could have a bit of practice. You sing quite nicely in tune which is a lot better than most people out there who haven't had lessons! Just experiment with songs, watch some youtube videos etc, maybe join a choir, and you'll see how your voice progresses
    Okay thank you for the advice! Yep I think that makes more sense so would you say I should sing more songs like what I posted afterwards (http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dQtviicngx)?

I took gcse music which probably helped tbh

And okay, I'll give that a try, thank you again!

ReputationRep:

No "but".

You're pretty good <end of comment>

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.