Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Doing A-level choices next week. This year I can only pick 3 options, and I've picked Bio and Chem, dont know about the third.
    But do you really need maths to take medicine? (A-level maths).
    Do any of you guys do/know people who take/ medicine without maths?

ReputationRep:
    it is useful depending on where you want to apply. i have friends who did not take maths and plan on applying to medicine.

if you are thinking of going oxbridge you will need chem and 2 of bio, maths and physics so i recommend checking out the uni websites of where you want to apply and check their requirements

ReputationRep:
    Usually no but it's a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    it is useful depending on where you want to apply. i have friends who did not take maths and plan on applying to medicine.

if you are thinking of going oxbridge you will need chem and 2 of bio, maths and physics so i recommend checking out the uni websites of where you want to apply and check their requirements
    I want to apply to Imperial - so Im gonna check that
    Thanks

(Original post by Bambi1211)
      No, unless you are applying to Magdalene College, Cambridge. Nowhere else requires/prefers applicants to take maths. Chemistry, biology and another academic subject is perfectly fine for Imperial.

Cambridge more generally requires three science/maths subjects for medicine but besides Magdalene no other college has any preference for maths over physics as the third science.

(Original post by sfaraj)
      if you are thinking of going oxbridge you will need chem and 2 of bio, maths and physics
      This is only the case for Cambridge. Oxford doesn't even require biology to AS Level (though they naturally warn that it's a good idea to take it for your own preparation for university).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      No, unless you are applying to Magdalene College, Cambridge. Nowhere else requires/prefers applicants to take maths. Chemistry, biology and another academic subject is perfectly fine for Imperial.

Cambridge more generally requires three science/subjects for medicine but besides Magdalene no other college has any preference for maths over physics as the third science.

This is only the case for Cambridge. Oxford doesn't even require biology to AS Level (though they naturally warn that it's a good idea to take it for your own preparation for university).
      Thank you this was really helpful!!!
      • Peer Support Volunteers
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor
      • Study Helper

I want to apply to Imperial - so Im gonna check that
      Thanks
      Imperial don't need A-Level Maths. Having said that, having Maths may help with the BMAT imo (but it's not necessary).

ReputationRep:
      Doing A-level choices next week. This year I can only pick 3 options, and I've picked Bio and Chem, dont know about the third.
      Do any of you guys do/know people who take/ medicine without maths?
      I'm Scottish so I don't do A levels but I have applied for medicine this year, I would definitely recommend taking maths, It makes the maths sections easier in the ukcat and bmat I would say!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      i stand corrected! but do bear in mind that the more A* you have at GCSE the higher your chances as they put a strong weighting on your GCSE grades

ReputationRep:
      You do not need maths for medicine. Categorically.

The only slight caveat is that based on data from Oxford applicants you might get a slight boost in bmat score. Ensuring you properly prepare can alleviate this difference.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.