Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I will be studying Anatomy and Human Biology at the University of Liverpool from September this year. Could any students currently studying this subject or similar (whatever university) tell my the names of textbooks/authors etc. that are useful and could help me to prepare. I am currently on a gap year so it would be useful to make sure I understand all important A-Level Biology content and maybe begin to go over some higher level/in depth stuff. Any other advise would be good too.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Please don't go and buy books at this stage as they're expensive and you may not use them as much as you think. The library will have enough of what you need and a lot of stuff may be online. Just enjoy your time off. The first few weeks will be about bringing everyone up to speed as people will come from different education systems and with different levels.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you live near the University, you could consider accessing their library as a visitor. See here but as aleycat says above, this really isn't necessary.

But I would recommend having a look at some lab videos or sites. I'd forgotten how to do many things in my first week of University after 2 gap years. It was quite stressful.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the previous two opinions. Unless you've been given a specific book/reading list in advance (unlikely), then wait until you've started before buying anything. Scientific textbooks are very expensive, and you might well find that for your first-year you can get by with the previous edition of some - these are significantly cheaper on the second-hand market, and you'd kick yourself if you found this out only after splurging hundreds on the newest versions. You will probably also find that most core texts are available from your library as e-books, and it's always worth borrowing a book first to see if you're going to actually use it before committing to buy it.

Also, your gap year is supposed to be just that - a break, not another year to study to try to 'get ahead'. Enjoy it without worrying about studying!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.