Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't decide which uni - help!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    So I've now received all of my offers (finally, relief!). However, I now have the biggest dilemma... There are two universities that I loved so much, and I've received the same offers from them (unconditional if firmed). I'm really struggling with the choice, so here are the good and bad points. (Not going to name them just yet to avoid any bias).
    Any advice? I'll be renting a house rather than student accommodation (long story that I'm not going to get into - so ability to make friendships in ways other than flat mates is crucial). I'll be studying accounting and finance.

Uni A : Up North - (original first choice before visiting Uni B)
    +/- : Roughly 170 miles from current home (far from family but I want to get my a** out of here and surrounding area)
    + : unconditional offer
    + : supposed to be an incredibly friendly city, my friends from up North described it as a Northern London wanna-be.
    + : relatively cheap to live
    + : loved the feel of the uni, the tutors, and the city is very good for career opportunities in finance
    +: Lower entry requirements than Uni B
    - : Apparently it rains a lot more than any other UK city, generally much colder, and thats not something I cope well with
    - lightly more expensive than living at the location of Uni B
    - : I can't always understand the accent (and saying 'whaaaat' 50 times isn't going to help me make friends...)

Uni B: Midlands
    +/- : 80 miles from home (could pop home every other weekend without a hassle - not something that I'd want to do though)
    + : Inter-grated masters (5 years instead of 4, including placement year)
    + : Cheaper to live than Uni A
    + : Closer to London
    +: surprisingly this is the only Uni a student made a real effort to talk to me (maybe because I was on my own) despite the levels of 'friendliness' not being as high (???)
    - : Bigger shopping centre, will waste more money
    - : The people have a horrible accent

This is what I can think of at the moment, I've only visited those places once and I fell in love with both. I am going to both of their applicant days (alone - terrifying!). Haven't had any luck looking for people on Facebook unfortunately.
    Perhaps any tips/suggestions for me to bare in mind for when I re-visit?

Any help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    University A must be one in the Liverpool. The not understanding the accent gave it away 😂. And before/if i get flamed- yes, im a proud scouser 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess that it's Hull & Birmingham maybe? Lol.

It's really what you feel about the uni and how you think you fit it in. Don't worry too much about the distance and cost because although you'll take out a loan and get a job, expenses will have to be paid, that's a part of life. It just means you have to pay more back when you've graduated, though in finance I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Like I said, it's how the uni feel to you and how you think the course is, the people etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can you just say the universitys names lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elephante)
    University A must be one in the Liverpool. The not understanding the accent gave it away 😂. And before/if i get flamed- yes, im a proud scouser 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So close - it's Manchester

(Original post by tuchaynz)
    I guess that it's Hull & Birmingham maybe? Lol.
    Yes, Birmingham is Uni B!

I'm from Cambridge so they're both very different, both more suited to the lifestyle I want to live! Both have made me feel great, Birmingham were a lot more welcoming by both lecturers and students than Manchester, and I suppose it being in the Midlands allows me more opportunities if I needed to travel for my career..

It's a difficult choice because I loved them both and can hardly think of negatives to either..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.