Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Durham Vs Nottingham Vs Southampton for computer science Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After receiving back offers for computer science I have narrowed down my choice to Durham, Nottingham and Southampton. I have an unconditional from Nottingham and conditional offers (AAA) from Durham and Southampton.

There seems to be little that separates these universities for me, and the universities seem to rank differently in different league tables. I was wondering if anybody can give me any advice or elaborate on any experiences they have studying computer science at any of them?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get responses on here you can see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students. Rankings don't really matter but are you sure there's nothing that separates the courses for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LettersFire)
    After receiving back offers for computer science I have narrowed down my choice to Durham, Nottingham and Southampton. I have an unconditional from Nottingham and conditional offers (AAA) from Durham and Southampton.

There seems to be little that separates these universities for me, and the universities seem to rank differently in different league tables. I was wondering if anybody can give me any advice or elaborate on any experiences they have studying computer science at any of them?
    I applied to Notts and Soton last year but turned it down and reapplied again to different Unis. Notts was way nicer than Soton IMO, despite being lower down on entry requirements and league tables. The campus was really nice, as well as the accommodation and the course. Also great links with IBM.

I literally just turned down Durham this year in favour of Bristol, but Durham is a really nice little town, the course is excellent (if a tiny bit limited in 3rd/4th years), and accommodation was great (Castle college anyway) and it's got great academic reputation.

IMO I'd pick Durham unless you're super fussy about nightlife, then go for Notts.

If you're at all worried about grades, just take the chance. I was panicking that I wasn't gonna get ABB last year but I ended up with 3 *s

EDIT: Also go have a look in person, ask for a tour day if there aren't any open days. That was always the biggest game changer for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.