Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Please could anyone help me with gap year ideas. I am currently studying Geography, Economics and Maths, with the view to read Economics (although potentially Law or HSPS). I essentially didn't really think through my university applications and I am now in a situation where I have offers, but I am somewhat indifferent to them.

After coming to the conclusion that a gap year might be the best option for me I have been searching for good ideas. I want it to be a very proactive year, ideally abroad, but I currently lack the imagination to think of any decent ones. Could you [readers] please help me?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think there might be still ways to get into a uni for economics, not sure weather a gap year is completely necessary. I think you can still use extra? Failing that, clearing is too an option.

I'm on a gap year for econ and I just got a full time job and read economics textbooks LOL bit boring of me

ReputationRep:
    Universities can often be quite open about changing your course if it has the same entry requirements and you can convince them why, but it also depends on how many applications they received for that course (probably a lot for economics). In a gap year, the BEST thing you can do is work experience in the field you want to go into. This will already put you a step ahead when you do your first year at university, where you can then get internships. Aside from work experience, anything that you can find to help amp up your cv (I know this sounds meh but charity and voluntary work can help). Even part time office jobs like data entry can help you to explain how you understand how the workplace works and is also a decent paid job for what it is- excel proficiency is something economists must have, especially if you want to go into banking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.