Choices? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Goku_ssj4
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Sorry about this guys. I know your getting a bit tired of it
Just finished my GCSE's- 7 A's and 3 B's(A's in Science/Maths/IT/History)
Chosen- Chemistry/Biology/I.T/Some other undecided subject!
I want to medicine. I know what grades i need but as ive seen in so many other posts i need some kind of 2nd or 3rd choice.
I was thinking of Pharmacy or Optometry! Which would be ok with my subjects!
Has anyone got any other ideas on what I can do? I can change IT to something else if neccesary. baring in mind i dont want a 3rd difficult subject to put strain on my chances of getting good grades at bio and chem!
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Goku_ssj4)
I want to medicine. I know what grades i need but as ive seen in so many other posts i need some kind of 2nd or 3rd choice.
Has anyone got any other ideas on what I can do? I can change IT to something else if neccesary. baring in mind i dont want a 3rd difficult subject to put strain on my chances of getting good grades at bio and chem!
You could take computing instead of IT if your school/college offers it. It's more 'sciency'.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
how about maths or physics. i'm sure physics would definately help with optometry (all those lenses and stuff). maths is a really useful subject for anything and leaves your options open.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
maths wud defintely broaden ur choices,it will give u a wide range of choices and basically put u into any kind of profession,of course if ur not confident with maths u cud always stick with ict......
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
maths wud defintely broaden ur choices,it will give u a wide range of choices and basically put u into any kind of profession,of course if ur not confident with maths u cud always stick with ict......
I wouldn't advise taking maths, though, unless you really enjoy it, or chances are you'll not do too well. It is a BIG leap between GCSE and AS Level, so think carefully before making your decision - for example, it wouldn't be a good idea taking maths if you found your other subjects difficult and time-consuming if you weren't confident you could cope with the work load.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
I wouldn't advise taking maths, though, unless you really enjoy it, or chances are you'll not do too well. It is a BIG leap between GCSE and AS Level, so think carefully before making your decision - for example, it wouldn't be a good idea taking maths if you found your other subjects difficult and time-consuming if you weren't confident you could cope with the work load.
Exactly what I was gonna say till I scroled down and found you'd already said, so i'll just plagurise what you said, and add my agreement.

Phil
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you have 2 or 3 possible choices for your undecided subject? If so, I recommend popping along to a few classes in each and see how you like it as schools normally allow a period of about a month for students to chop and change subjects.
Goku_ssj4
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks guys well looks like i'll be doing physics! Will physics allow me to do Auronotical(spealt wrong lol) Engineering?????

It will be difficult doing three sciences though!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
preferable to have phyiscs to do engineering yes. also would be helpfull to have maths. get some prospectuses or look at the online and see what the uni's ask for
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks guys well looks like i'll be doing physics! Will physics allow me to do Auronotical(spealt wrong lol) Engineering?????

Any type of engineering normally expects both maths and physics. Plus if you choose the mechanics modules in maths it will help a lot with learning physics. I do all three sciences and apart from it being a lot of fun (but sometimes confusing, but that's fun too ) I find that doing all three helps one another. For example you will find parts of chemistry in biology and vice versa.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

Doing all three is quite common! I didn't take physics and I always wish I had - it's fascinating on a level which Geography....well......isn't.

Ben
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Physics is extremely fascinating (look at me, all pro science )! It is also very mind-boggling which meant I spent majority of the year confused. Plus playing on all the electronic equipment is fun.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Optometry isnt a very good option as a reserve because theres hardly anywhere that offers it so its really competitive - AAA I think. At least AS maths is a good idea for pharmacy or you will have to do extra maths classes at uni. Not wishing to be nasty or anything but engineering is a completely different type of course (and job) to medicine, which makes me think you havent really thought about what you would want from your career, you just seem to be looking at jobs that are prestigious/well paid in the science field without thinking about what is involved. Medicine for example is very people orientated, whereas engineering is not, and to state the obvious perhaps, medicine is not for the squeamish. Also do you prefer life sciences or physical sciences? You really ought to get hold of more information, from connexions or careers library or whatever and look at careers in science.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads