Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a dilemma.... I know I have ranted on about this but how do you revise GCSE Maths 9-1 AQA. Pupils in set 1 maths get above 60/80 on the new AQA mocks. How?!? when I ask my friend how he revises he says he doesn't so how on earth does he get 60/80 and an 8 overall. Please someone explain this to me.. do they secretly revise or is just cos they are a maths genius! Also can you give me advice on how I can master answering harder questions for the 9-1 AQA maths and what resources I can use. I have one chance which is a march mock and I desperately want an 8. Please and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catchthe1z)
    Bit of a dilemma.... I know I have ranted on about this but how do you revise GCSE Maths 9-1 AQA. Pupils in set 1 maths get above 60/80 on the new AQA mocks. How?!? when I ask my friend how he revises he says he doesn't so how on earth does he get 60/80 and an 8 overall. Please someone explain this to me.. do they secretly revise or is just cos they are a maths genius! Also can you give me advice on how I can master answering harder questions for the 9-1 AQA maths and what resources I can use. I have one chance which is a march mock and I desperately want an 8. Please and thank you!
    You need to get some practice in - that's really the only way to get better at maths.

I think the best way to learn maths is to try to learn the topics you need to learn, look at examples, understand the examples and try to answer some questions on your own.

Use the AQA maths specification if you're looking for a list of topics and work systematically through them, ticking off areas you are confident with and refining your understanding of the topics you're not so confident with.

There are lots of questions that you can use to practise. If you just search for worksheets on topics using google, for instance, 'factorising quadratics worksheet' or 'sine/cosine rule worksheet', you will find plenty of examples and questions to try. The more you do, the better you'll become.

I would also highly recommend that you place importance on algebra. Algebraic errors are such a common mistake at GCSE level - even at AS/A2 level - and you are guaranteed to have to do lots of algebra across all three of your papers.

Try the 9-1 practice papers from other exam boards too. At GCSE, the content is basically the same across all exam boards and so it's a good way to get extra practice in. Also, the different style in question may be useful in checking to see if you really understand the topics too. We have some 9-1 GCSE Practice Papers on our site - www.crashmaths.com/gcse-practice-papers - but they are aimed at the Edexcel specification, so bear that in mind.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.