Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I have been accepted onto a masters in development and I'm hoping to apply for a SOAS scholarship (the only one I'm eligible for..). Apart from academic merit, does anyone have any advice on what they are looking for for the scholarships?
    Any advice welcome!
    Thanks so much!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Need as well. You really have to sell yourself and explain why this is important to you, why you need it and what's unique about you that makes you a good candidate. These will be very competitive. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much Alleycat! I agree that demonstrating need is a good idea. I am confused however, as the only guidelines that SOAS give are that the scholarship decisions are based on academic merit, so I have been unsure to what extent need (financial etc) should come into it. Do you know if they only give it those who can't otherwise afford it? I didn't get the impression it was means tested...
    Have you had experience of scholarship process?
    I really appreciate your help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Even if not asked for its good to talk about need as a scholarship is basically financial aid for someone who is deserving but can't afford it. My PhD was fully funded, I've had successful grant applications and have served on a funding committee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Even if not asked for its good to talk about need as a scholarship is basically financial aid for someone who is deserving Burbank can't afford it. My PhD was fully funded, I've had successful grant applications and have served on a funding committee.
    Thanks so much for your help Alleycat, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by backtouni2017)
    Hi everyone!
    I have been accepted onto a masters in development and I'm hoping to apply for a SOAS scholarship (the only one I'm eligible for..). Apart from academic merit, does anyone have any advice on what they are looking for for the scholarships?
    Any advice welcome!
    Thanks so much!
    How is progress with finding funding?

I've got a place for MA History for September.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, have you heard anything about the final decision on who receives the funding?Best,Hedi

ReputationRep:
    So, you are doing your PHD at SOAS? (I have been accepted into the LLM in Law for this Fall) May I ask, please, how common it is for Phd's at SOAS to be fully
    funded? I am planning on applying for Phd's in law in the UK after I finish
    my LLM. My concern is that, although there are only a few Phd in law programs
    in the U.S. (Yale, Univ. of WA has actual Phd, but a lot of other top tier programs
    offer their equivalent JSD or SJD), they are almost always fully funded. But in
    the UK, it seems this is not the case. Also, may I ask you about your satisfaction
    with the facilities at SOAS for your research. I think I read you can get your
    own private study carrel on the quiet floor -the 4th floor of the Senate House,
    and the information seems to refer their being a door, so not sure if this is like
    having your own office and personal space as a researcher.(I do feel the
    Phd law programs in the UK are MUCH better defined as are the LLM's,
    as completely separate and apart from the regular level instruction, so
    this is why the UK is my preference.)

(Original post by alleycat393)
    Even if not asked for its good to talk about need as a scholarship is basically financial aid for someone who is deserving but can't afford it. My PhD was fully funded, I've had successful grant applications and have served on a funding committee.

ReputationRep:
    Hedi,

I originally applied in 2016, was admitted, and then I deferred until this Fall. I had
    my letter of admittance, I think, formally (after the deferral was granted) in
    September or so, so in terms of postgraduate scholarship consideration,I was
    very early in the line, but did not receive a scholarship. I do think by now, if you
    applied early and met the deadlines, that they have sent the word forth, but
    this is my first experience at SOAS, so maybe they are waiting later into August
    or something. (but just from my previous experience in universities in the U.S.,
    that would seem to be VERY late, I would think people would already know in
    order to be able to make their decisions regarding SOAS' offer and other
    programs.)

(Original post by Hedi_O)
    Hey everyone, have you heard anything about the final decision on who receives the funding?Best,Hedi

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.