Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed for a school student with insomnia Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I do not have an official insomnia diagnosis however it seems likely that I have insomnia as I very rarely get any more than 3.5 hours sleep a night. I try to sleep however I can't even though I feel exhausted all the time resulting in me drinking a shocking amount of energy drinks.
    A lot of the time I find it very difficult to focus in school due to my eyes being very heavy and shutting over, I force myself to study at the library otherwise I would get nothing done at home as the tiredness means I can't be bothered...
    I'm studying for Scottish Highers which are equivalent to AS level. I'm doing extremely well in all my subjects except maths which I am doing very badly in...

Does anyone have any advice to lessen the feeling of tiredness or to manage it better?
    The tiredness also results in a constant brain fog and I don't want my school results to be affected.

ReputationRep:
    1. Cut out the energy drinks and other caffeinated beverages. You might feel that you need them to get through the day, but they quickly become part of the problem.

2. Google sleep hygiene and follow some of the advice you can find. In particular, I recommend suggestions to keep off your phone, laptop, etc. at night.

3. Focus on getting up at the same time each day regardless of how much you've slept. I've found it a better strategy to sort out a terrible sleep pattern than trying to go to bed at a set time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    1. Cut out the energy drinks and other caffeinated beverages. You might feel that you need them to get through the day, but they quickly become part of the problem.

2. Google sleep hygiene and follow some of the advice you can find. In particular, I recommend suggestions to keep off your phone, laptop, etc. at night.

3. Focus on getting up at the same time each day regardless of how much you've slept. I've found it a better strategy to sort out a terrible sleep pattern than trying to go to bed at a set time.
    Ok thanks 2&3 seem like good ideas. However it will be so hard to cut out the energy drinks, I wish I could though... I've been drinking them for 3 years and I drink 10 cans a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    Ok thanks 2&3 seem like good ideas. However it will be so hard to cut out the energy drinks, I wish I could though... I've been drinking them for 3 years and I drink 10 cans a day
    I don't know if you know but 10 cans of energy drink is very very very dangerous and could potentially have a severe impact on your heart. Please, try your best to give them up. See a GP if you can't do it alone. You really need to stop drinking so many, that's probably the root of the problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    1 drink has enough sugars and caffine to last like 6 hours i think it is. So they are most likely part of your problem unfortunately.
    Deffo cut them down, swap them for juice or something when you think you need the energy, or something fizzy so you feel like your getting the energy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's no wonder you can't sleep drinking that many energy drinks. It is easy to get into bad habits with insomnia; for example, you might start off with it mildly and then to compensate drink energy drinks or get into patterns of oversleeping in the morning or taking naps. It is then a struggle to stop doing these things because cutting them out is not going to be an overnight fix. Nothing will be an overnight fix unfortunately.

I get insomnia when I'm stressed (get a typical pattern of not being able to fall asleep and then wake up every few hours on the dot) and it is tough to try and stick to all the things that help you get back into a regular sleeping pattern-lots of feeling utterly exhausted during the day and still not being able to sleep at night-for me it generally takes a couple of weeks and my insomnia is really only ever short term-but you really need to persevere. Identifying any sort of issues that might be contributing-like stress-would also be a good idea. For example, mine is pretty predictable so as soon as I start getting it I can identify if I am taking on too much or if there are shorter term factors-like exams-that are causing it; I can then make sure I am doing things to combat the root of the problem-perhaps that might mean prioritising and dropping some activities etc or making sure I take time out to relax-and not just the symptoms.

If a good amount of time (it may take weeks-or longer given how much you've been relying on energy drinks) trying all the things people have suggested so far-sticking to a routine and using good sleep hygiene practices-doesn't help, or you are particularly struggling with getting off the energy drinks, you might want to visit your GP to discuss the problem.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.