Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Formatting Advice & PC to Laptop Data Transfer Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to format my PC that I built. Any advice on good formatting software for the Hard Drive and SSD. Last time I used Parted Magic, it took hours to format the 2TB HD.

I wanted to transfer data from my PC to my Laptop, approx 400GB worth of data. Any advice someone can give me? I have a cross ethernet cable, however I bought it from reading guides on the internet, besides plugging both ports in (PC and Laptop) not sure what settings I need to manually change (hoping there is something easier). Looking to learn how to do it this way, compared to buying an external hard drive.

PC doesnt have wifi (connected through ethernet) and laptop can be connected directly to router if required by ethernet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    What is the purpose of formatting? Why does the built in utilties for whatever OS you have not do the job? Assuming you have a Windows machine, diskpart is perfectly adequate for formatting drives.

And again, why do you want to use Ethernet? You've got to set everything up, rather than simply plugging a drive in and copy/pasting. What are you actually looking to achieve by using Ethernet? There's a bunch of ways you can do it, such as configuring a shared folder or a group, using something like FTP to send the files and so on but why bother? Simply plugging in a drive and copying is the easiest thing. Even if you only have smaller drives, copying the data in smaller chunks is still arguably easier than trying to configure something to work with crossover Ethernet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.