Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I arrived in UK in 1996 and could not get student finance due to immigration status as an asylum seeker. In 2011 i got DLR ,and in August 2016 spotted new law introduced : You may also be eligible if you’re not a UK national, 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years . I thought to my self:"At last!"

    In the previous year i finished GCSE's and am doing Access to Higher Education course at the moment.
    It's been 6 month of sending documents back and forth to SFE,numerous calls,useless conversations with SFE staff,complaints,MPs involved,kilos of documents sent.Lots of mess , to cut the story short.
    Eventually SFE made a decision recently : "You are not eligible" as we need evidence you have been here for 20 years.
    When you ask them questions , they lie to you about letters and documents lost in post,system is down,manager is absent,they sent you letter and you will receive it soon,take your application off the website,then put it back again after few weeks, say they have everything they need , then after a month start the game all over again, total mess.

    My question is? Who can i complain to?How can i solve the problem?
    I sent official complaint to SFE, they drugging the case,sent request to MP - he's been promising to help for a few month, sent letters to House of Lords,they don't bother to reply.
    Appreciate if anybody would advise on the matter
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi George,

    I am sorry to hear of your situation.

    If you have sent an official complaint to ourselves, we will respond, if you are still unhappy with the response this can be taken further.

    Can you confirm if you have received a response from our complaints team? thanks
    • Thread Starter

    Yes i did have a response from complaint team , which is i am not satisfied. An officer who took the complaint ,just passed me over the info given to her by the person i complained about. Website shows: "We have all information needed" , the person who is dealing with the complaint hasn't got information updated, the officer i spoke on the phone said something else, and MP dealing with the case can not get any response for more then a month already.
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.