Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you would like to know about Child Nursing or Student Uni life in general, ask away

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am considering studying nursing but I am undecided on which branch.
    What made you want to do child nursing over other nursing courses?
    Did you do any work experience before starting the course?
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbymbest)
    Hi I am considering studying nursing but I am undecided on which branch.
    What made you want to do child nursing over other nursing courses?
    Did you do any work experience before starting the course?
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya!

Don't worry I know the feeling, of being unsure about nursing. I guess the reason why I wanted to do Children's Nursing is because I've always wanted to work with children anyway, nursing was just the vocation I chose as I felt it was a more direct way to help and care for them. I suppose it all derives from my personal experiences.

The passion for nursing definitely stems from my work experience placement though. I went for a 2 week placement on a paediatric ward and i did work experience for 2 weeks in a school and 1 week in a gp throughout sixth form (during holiday breaks) just so I was so nursing was what I wanted to do.

I can't stress the importance of work experience. There's no point going to uni to study nursing if you haven't seen what it's actually like during work experience because it certainly is an eye opener. Try and get some work experience and hopefully, then you will be entirely sure on what you want to do. But I think that's the most important thing.

If you're unsure about which branch of nursing to do, how about you do a couple of days on a general ward and then a couple of days on a child's ward. So you get a taste of both.

But remember nursing is not just in the hospital, so like I went to a gp and a school there where nurses there that gave me great advice that I still take on board to this day. So even if you can't get a hospital placement try other places where you can be with nurses.

But good luck with your decision. I hope this helps
    Xxx
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the response I am trying to sort out work experience at the moment as I think it will help me a lot .
    How did you apply for your work experience is it through the school or did you go in person?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the response I am trying to sort out work experience at the moment as I think it will help me a lot .
    How did you apply for your work experience is it through the school or did you go in person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I organised all of my in person or on the phone. Just ask to speak to the head in charge ( or whoever holds a superior role in the organisation) to do some work experience and shadow the nurses.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot this has been really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What uni are you studying at? And are there any things you think are essentials; books, equipment etc that are worth a read/purchase before you start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Are you learning human biology in your first year? And what did you do for a levels/BTEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by care_student)
    What uni are you studying at? And are there any things you think are essentials; books, equipment etc that are worth a read/purchase before you start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm studying in Manchester.

I didn't buy any books before I started because I didn't really know what modules and assignments I was doing before I came to uni.

But I definitely recommend looking at the uni modules and finding out what you will be studying then purchase books that you think will help you understand those modules.

Personally I don't recommend buying books anyway because they cost so much money and the majority of the time you won't be using them very long. If u desperately need a book go to the library. Other than that all the information you should need should be on the internet.

Also just read up on The Code (NMC) because you refer to that a lot during Nursing assignments. Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Hi. Are you learning human biology in your first year? And what did you do for a levels/BTEC?

Yes. First semester was about the anatomy and physiology of the body. And that's what the first exam was based on.

I did A levels:
    Psychology
    Sociology
    English Literature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STU_Nurse101)
    Yes. First semester was about the anatomy and physiology of the body. And that's what the first exam was based on.

I did A levels:
    Psychology
    Sociology
    English Literature
    Was it really hard?

ReputationRep:
    Was it really hard?
    No, as long as you revise, it should go well. But I can only speak for myself haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have a few questions. Thank you for being here to answer them it's so helpful.

This one doesn't bother me much but what's the student life like? Is there much time to go out and do 'normal' student life things?

Are you living on campus? What are your roommates like and what courses do they do? (if you have any)

Are you looking to get a house with any friends next year?

Do you have many friends who don't do nursing, other than roommates?

Is there anyway to get a part time job around your degree? I'm only asking this one because I don't feel like there would be the time but I may be wrong

Sorry there's a load of questions, I'll probably think of some more later. I have so many questions!!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm also looking for work experience at the moment, my local hospital has an application form on their website which you apply through, perhaps yours does too! I've found although I can do work experience with nurses there isn't much I can do with children as I'm only 16 (most require you to be 18) Hopefully universities will realise this. I'm not really sure where else to look because I want to get some more in but there isn't much else around here.

ReputationRep:
    No, as long as you revise, it should go well. But I can only speak for myself haha.

How many exams in the first year and is there coursework in the first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamariekitty)
    Hello, I have a few questions. Thank you for being here to answer them it's so helpful.

This one doesn't bother me much but what's the student life like? Is there much time to go out and do 'normal' student life things?

Are you living on campus? What are your roommates like and what courses do they do? (if you have any)

Are you looking to get a house with any friends next year?

Do you have many friends who don't do nursing, other than roommates?

Is there anyway to get a part time job around your degree? I'm only asking this one because I don't feel like there would be the time but I may be wrong

Sorry there's a load of questions, I'll probably think of some more later. I have so many questions!!
    Hiya, don't worry about asking to many questions. I had the same questions as you before I came to Uni.

Just a disclaimer, your uni experience will be completely different to mine, so sorry if the answers aren't what you hoped for.

1) Student life is honestly how you make it. I study in Manchester, there are lots of clubs and friendly social people, so if you want to go out and party or join a society you can, you just have to find the right balance, because as a nurse you will be required to go on placements and that does take up your time. I can only speak for myself as a student studying in Manchester but yes i definitely can do normal things.
    it all depends on your university timetable and how you balance your lifestyle.

2) yeah i live in uni accommodation, there is a mixture of us, some do medicine, some do history, physics etc. there is a variety. they are amazing people, we all get along.

3) yes i am moving into a house next year, with my close friends

4) yes i have a lot of friends that don't do nursing, if you go to social events you will have a wide range of friends outside of your flatmates that don't do your course.

5) to be perfectly honest. no. Nursing placements takes up a lot of time. If you need to work i recommend NHS Professional, where you can choose to work in your own time. (but you can only start in second year) I would also recommend work in the summer if you can before you come to uni and save up money. Also if you really need to work i suggest jobs where you can choose when you want to work because having a part-time job is not practical for student nurses.

if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
    hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    How many exams in the first year and is there coursework in the first year?
    2 and we do assignments regularly.
    But remember this may not be the same for every university.
    Find out from the University of your choice for more specific information.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am current looking at becoming a children's nurse, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time and I would be starting as a mature student.
    My question is what does a typical week look like, at uni and while on placement?
    How long are you usually on placement for? Is there a certain amount of time between each placement or are the back to back?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    2 and we do assignments regularly.
    But remember this may not be the same for every university.
    Find out from the University of your choice for more specific information.

Hello,

I'll be starting university in September and I am just wondering if there are any books or online resources you would recommend. Also, what I could expect from the modules e.g. have you got any additional information that may help.

Thank you,

Shannon x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.