How to beat Acne? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sugaray
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Yes I know it's all part of growing up blah blah but it appears that there are several good cures appearing these days to beat acne so if anyone can post some tips this may be quite useful for everyone

I'll go first

In America, they seem to be obsessed with this thing called Proactiv, has anyone tried it? It seems a little pricy and I don't know where to buy it except via international shipping from the US. There's also something they use called Differin gel and both apparently are extremely effective. Here they seem to use Zineryt and Eurothymycin (can't spell it) or Oxytetracycline. Haven't heard of any Proactiv stuff in the UK which is annoying. Also, apparently Neutrogena Deep Pore Cleanser thing is very good but very drying. I've used Zineryt lotion and Eurothymycin tablets but after about a year, they seemed to lose the best effect they had when I first started..so I changed my tablets to Oxytetracycline and well my acne is not as bad as it was before but it's still not gone it was totally clear when I first started using this stuff but the bacteria must be getting resistent or something?
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah the bacteria will have got used to what your using. go see your doctor perhaps for something different?
Sugaray
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by priya)
yeah the bacteria will have got used to what your using. go see your doctor perhaps for something different?
I did, all he did was change my tablets but apparently the oxytetra ones are practically the same as eurothymycin thingy and it doesn't appear to have taken effect either. It seems Zineryt and these tablets are all they know of
infekt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my brother has acne ... he uses this thing called zenyrt ... and zinc oxide ointment .... and sumthing called betnovante ... but i think thts for eczema
Dajo123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My mates sister tried something called Differin (i think), it cleared her skin right up in no time.
infekt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
get some medicated soap ... clean ure face regularly
ovalorbit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit, no chocolate and go and see the doc. I got some really horrible cream and a roll on, there really helped. Also get some sun on ur skin - I know it's hard to do round here but it really helps. Oh and swimming in the sea really helped my skin
infekt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh yeah dont scratch it even if its itching like hell ,tht will jus scar it up ... u dont want ur face ending up like the moon craters
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dajo123)
My mates sister tried something called Differin (i think), it cleared her skin right up in no time.
Yup....I used to use it when I had acne..and wheever a spot or two pop up, I use..it really works!...u simply take a spot on ur finger and smooth it over ur face and wait for it to dry (its like a gel) and then sleep..wash it with warm water next morning

Also, Retin A...its realy good..

Home remedies...boil milk, take the creamy layer from the top and let it dry...put it on the spots......sounds disgusting but it worked for me!
Lithium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I posted a couple of really great Meds that really take care if it really fast....

in the thread " Acne ..Whtf?!?!
Qualcuno
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've tried many different medications, including oxytetracycline, benzoyl peroxide and various branded products... none of them seem to be working any more. So a couple of weeks back I was in the bathroom and had the thought "None of these medicines are working on their own... but I wonder what would happen if I use them all at the same time..."

So I've been doing that for a week or 2 and it actually seems to be working! Sure, it might seem a little excessive, using cream over lotion over medicated soap over regular soap, but if the medications arent working on their own then I may as well use them up like this. Still my face is by no means clear, and it's starting to get to me so if this doesnt work in the end then it'll be another trip to the doctor.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What about prevention? What stuff can you use to stop spots altogether? And Im not particularly interested in tablets, just creams/washes..
lollipop
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Clinique Anti-Blemish range, Ive tried practically all brands and even been to the Dr. Clinique seems to work for me.
Spider
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Alcohol based handwash nukes acne.
supreme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nothing seems to work, I have visited the doctor a lot. All they say is "It is not that bad." Everything they say to try doesn't work including the antibiotics. Antibiotics can even sometimes make it worse.
Apocagem
Report 14 years ago
I use 'Quinoderm'. I tried lots of different creams, and each one (except Clearasil) seemed to help for a couple of weeks, but all too soon they stopped working. 'Panoxyl' was very effective (Benzoyl peroxide), but it aggravating the skin such that scar tissue was beginning to form, and later on it wouldn't even prevent the acne itself. I would advise staying away from consumer driven ones - they're good for people who only get the odd spot from time to time, and simply want a preventative measure.

'Quinoderm' contains the Benzoyl peroxide which is the active ingredient in many remedies, but alone this doesn't tend to be efficient enough; acne vulgaris is the result of many changes within your body, and certain bacteria take advantage of these. So whilst a cream which just targets the skin itself will be could at healing it, and reducing the chances of bacteria infecting the glands, it won't actually kill the bacteria. Similarly, antibiotics to a great job of dealing with the bacteria, but very little to do with the skin, and again, bacteria develop resistance. So the best thing is to combine a cream and an antibiotic pill, or use a cream with antibiotic/antiseptic (better) properties.

(Original post by Qualcuno)
"None of these medicines are working on their own... but I wonder what would happen if I use them all at the same time..."
A good idea. Just don't put on too much of Benzoyl peroxide, for example, or it will cause scarring itself.

I've found that it really does vary from person to person so much that it's impossible to say what will work best. Try out what I've suggested, and if there aren't any significant improvements within eight weeks (normal time it takes), then make the decision; change medication and risk it worsening, or keep going and hope it improves. I've had acne for four years now, but now it is finally going. Nearly everybody grows out of it, and sometimes that's the only thing you can do.
ladyblitzer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by infekt)
get some medicated soap ... clean ure face regularly
I learned in Biology that dirt is not actually the cause of acne, so it's not just really about cleaning your face regularly. But do get faciail cleansers. and visit the dermatologist regularly.
RyanW
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Right, a lot of what I have read here is quite unrelated to acne to be honest.

Firstly, stopping eating chocolate or adapting your diet will not help your acne as your diet has nothing to do with it.

I have had quite bad acne and tried all the drugs listed above to no avail. So, I have went for the best acne cream on the market which basically cures 100% cases of acne and stops it from coming back .... the wonder drug in question being roaccutane. It is available on the NHS but the waiting list is quite long so get your name down asap if you want it, but, I got it through my family's medical insurance which will pay the £800 for it if you need it. I have been on it about 3 weeks and already my face is nearly clear, and considering my face was quite bad for a while I consider that a break-through.

I know of lots of teenage friends etc that are taking or have taken roaccutane and none of them have had anything other than praise for it. There are lots of possible side effects to roaccutane from dry skin (which everyone who takes it gets) to dry lips (again, very common) to nose bleeds (quite common but don't last long as an effect) to depression and such-like. It must be emphasised that the amount of people who suffer from anything other than dry lips, dry skin and nose bleeds is minute. Personally I have had those three but nothing else and feel no different using roaccutane.

I cannot recommend 'roaccutane' enough to you guys - the spot creams/washes etc such as clearasil do not work! It's a proven fact that they are pitiful and do not do anything much to people's skin, the only way to combat acne is through prescribed drugs and if the rest of the drugs have not worked then 'roaccutane' is your best bet as it's the strongest cream but also the most effective.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Read this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3936263.stm
Evolin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i went to a derm otologist yesterday, at Barts. He gave me differein to use in the night, zinerit inthe morning and a aquious cream to use as facewash and moisturising cream. And this is after tablets when they were much worse.

but for me the thing thats worked the best is giving up on fizzy drinks...that just puts them down...and drink more water....havnt been able to give up the chocs yt!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (378)
37.35%
No - but I will (77)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (486)
48.02%

Watched Threads