Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got some brown stains on my lower teeth which won't go! They're on the corner of the front bottom teeth, I tried scratching them with my nail but they won't come off. Apart from visiting the dentist how else can I get rid of them?

I'm thinking of the thing the dentist uses to scratch the tooth, but I don't know what it's called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I got some brown stains on my lower teeth which won't go! They're on the corner of the front bottom teeth, I tried scratching them with my nail but they won't come off. Apart from visiting the dentist how else can I get rid of them?

I'm thinking of the thing the dentist uses to scratch the tooth, but I don't know what it's called.
    Only a dentist, dental therapist or dental hygienist can help you to get rid of all of it and do it safely.

The generic term is just scaler but there are various types. To clean effectively you'd likely need 2 different types and you have no idea what you're looking for or where to find them. You'd also have no idea how to check the quality and ensure you're buying from a reputable supplier. Most importantly, you will not have the correct technique to do it properly, even if you did it's not advisable to do it on yourself. The technique issue also applies to anyone you could get to do it for you - basically all other non dentally qualified people (even if they're neurosurgeon).

Bottom line: You could easily end up doing more harm than good (it's not safe) and you're extremely unlikely to be able to remove all of it (or even most of it). You also need to be assessed properly (by a dental professional), in order to rule out a more "serious" cause for what appears to be (to your untrained eye) brown staining even though it is unlikely.

Go to your dentist! They'll sort it out for you and be able to give you tips on how to prevent it in the future.

(Original post by Corporate Lawyer)
    Only a dentist, dental therapist or dental hygienist can help you to get rid of all of it and do it safely.

The generic term is just scaler but there are various types. To clean effectively you'd likely need 2 different types and you have no idea what you're looking for or where to find them. You'd also have no idea how to check the quality and ensure you're buying from a reputable supplier. Most importantly, you will not have the correct technique to do it properly, even if you did it's not advisable to do it on yourself. The technique issue also applies to anyone you could get to do it for you - basically all other non dentally qualified people (even if they're neurosurgeon).

Bottom line: You could easily end up doing more harm than good (it's not safe) and you're extremely unlikely to be able to remove all of it (or even most of it). You also need to be assessed properly (by a dental professional), in order to rule out a more "serious" cause for what appears to be (to your untrained eye) brown staining even though it is unlikely.

Go to your dentist! They'll sort it out for you and be able to give you tips on how to prevent it in the future.
    Perfect answer!

Thanks, I guess your right, my teeth aren't perfect and the last thing I want to do is damage them. Dentist it is then.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.