Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does attendance really affect maintenance loan/student finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

You might of read/answered this question a thousand already, This is my first year, I am studying Higher Education at a college in London and I have recieved my first payment of maintenance loan. I wanted to know if my attendance in college is poor will the loan still get paid or will it be stopped? does my attendance need to be over a certain percent to recieve the payment? I asked a friend of mine that studies in a University and he said his attendance is very bad he hardly attends but he still gets his maintenance loan, I am not sure if the same rule applies with my college?

Any questions or advice will be greatly appreciated as I really need the money to live on etc. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ess-R)
    Hey guys!

You might of read/answered this question a thousand already, This is my first year, I am studying Higher Education at a college in London and I have recieved my first payment of maintenance loan. I wanted to know if my attendance in college is poor will the loan still get paid or will it be stopped? does my attendance need to be over a certain percent to recieve the payment? I asked a friend of mine that studies in a University and he said his attendance is very bad he hardly attends but he still gets his maintenance loan, I am not sure if the same rule applies with my college?

Any questions or advice will be greatly appreciated as I really need the money to live on etc. Thanks
    This is going to depend on your college's policy on attendance. If they monitor attendance and withdraw students who don't attend regularly then once you're withdrawn your payments will stop.

Some universities/colleges monitor attendance closely and will withdraw anyone who falls below a certain threshold, others will only monitor attendance at the start of each term to notify the SLC that a student is still active.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ess-R

As PQ said it's best to speak with the university. We would only stop funding if the university sent a change of circumstances to say you are suspending or withdrawing.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.