Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will Corbyn sack Diane Abbott from the Shadow Cabinet? Watch

• View Poll Results: Will Corbyn sack Diane Abbott?
    Yes
    6.25%
    No
    93.75%

ReputationRep:
    My feeling is no. He's a very very weak man and an even weaker leader. Not ruling it out, but I think he'll do nothing and if questioned use the excuse that she didn't actually vote against.

If pressed, he'll then look down over his glasses and say nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Of course he won't
    Then by extension, does he reject the entire notion of collective responsibility?

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt Diane Abbott will go until Corbyn himself goes.

ReputationRep:
    If he doesn't sack Abbott, then Labour whipping would be a joke. All the semi-moderates who resigned earlier in his tenure will be wondering why they did so. Everyone in the party might as well do whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    No he won't, he's an absolute fool.

ReputationRep:
    Dianne Abbot is pretty much the only other Labour MP who actually supports Corbyn at the moment and is his biggest ally in the party revolt. I am sure their are actually a few others who support him but you get the idea.

Corbyn will never ever sack Abbot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Dianne Abbot is pretty much the only other Labour MP who actually supports Corbyn at the moment and is his biggest ally in the party revolt. I am sure their are actually a few others who support him but you get the idea.

Corbyn will never ever sack Abbot.
    How screwed are you if your biggest ally doesn't vote with you on your 3-line whip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    How screwed are you if your biggest ally doesn't vote with you on your 3-line whip?
    well previously it would have been logical to rule Corbyn out to say his political career is finished. However after seeing Brexit despite the populace been told it would create world war 3 and economic doomsday, then seeing Trump win despite his own party been against him and most of the main stream media who knows anymore.

Trump may be a gift to Corbyns chances as many in the UK rightly or wrongly don't like Trump and May is seen as not standing up to him.

I for one Like Trump and believe May is doing a good job but then its not really what I think its what the population think.

having said that it is the case that Corbyns politics seem to go directly against the populist movement that has been coming up. and Few are persuaded by him supporting brexit to pay lip service.

I would say he is screwed I just think he still stands a chance, just that may be a small chance.

ReputationRep:
    well previously it would have been logical to rule Corbyn out to say his political career is finished. However after seeing Brexit despite the populace been told it would create world war 3 and economic doomsday, then seeing Trump win despite his own party been against him and most of the main stream media who knows anymore.

Trump may be a gift to Corbyns chances as many in the UK rightly or wrongly don't like Trump and May is seen as not standing up to him.

I for one Like Trump and believe May is doing a good job but then its not really what I think its what the population think.

having said that it is the case that Corbyns politics seem to go directly against the populist movement that has been coming up. and Few are persuaded by him supporting brexit to pay lip service.

I would say he is screwed I just think he still stands a chance, just that may be a small chance.
    Jeremy Corbyn coming to power would essentially be a Marxist revolution in the UK via the ballot box. There's an absolutely zero chance of that happening, because we know that every time Labour shift to the left, they get crushed. Milliband went to the left, and against all the odds delivered a Tory majority. Corbyn is polling so low (in a paradigm where polls dramatically under-represent the Tory vote) that the predictable result of a General Election is a huge Tory majority.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Corbyn coming to power would essentially be a Marxist revolution in the UK via the ballot box. There's an absolutely zero chance of that happening, because we know that every time Labour shift to the left, they get crushed. Milliband went to the left, and against all the odds delivered a Tory majority. Corbyn is polling so low (in a paradigm where polls dramatically under-represent the Tory vote) that the predictable result of a General Election is a huge Tory majority.
    yeah i think your right so im not going to waste a lot of time arguing that you are wrong i was just saying politics seems very unpredictable these days.

I mean most people thought we would never get brexit or trump and we did so who knows.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think your right so im not going to waste a lot of time arguing that you are wrong i was just saying politics seems very unpredictable these days.

I mean most people thought we would never get brexit or trump and we did so who knows.
    Personally, I thought Brexit was absolutely predictable. The opinion polls have been very close, like 50/50 for years. Why would anyone think one particular winner in a two-horse race is an unlikely result? The only people who thought that were Remainers - most of whom didn't give a fig about the EU until a year ago.

Trump is a difficult one - but again, you have to put it in context. We know that Obama had his supporters and his detractors. Apart from tribal Republicans, there were a great many people unhappy about the cost of Obamacare. Hillary offered a continuation of the previous, as well as carrying a huge amount of baggage with her. She could barely deliver her own nomination, in a party battle with Bernie Sanders that alienated a significant portion of her own voter base to the extent that they were either not voting for her at the GE, or doing so very reluctantly. In the context of a person (Hillary) who would under normal circumstances be an awful candidate - we have another two-horse race. Again, one might be the favourite, but you can't discount the other one.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I thought Brexit was absolutely predictable. The opinion polls have been very close, like 50/50 for years. Why would anyone think one particular winner in a two-horse race is an unlikely result? The only people who thought that were Remainers - most of whom didn't give a fig about the EU until a year ago.

Trump is a difficult one - but again, you have to put it in context. We know that Obama had his supporters and his detractors. Apart from tribal Republicans, there were a great many people unhappy about the cost of Obamacare. Hillary offered a continuation of the previous, as well as carrying a huge amount of baggage with her. She could barely deliver her own nomination, in a party battle with Bernie Sanders that alienated a significant portion of her own voter base to the extent that they were either not voting for her at the GE, or doing so very reluctantly. In the context of a person (Hillary) who would under normal circumstances be an awful candidate - we have another two-horse race. Again, one might be the favourite, but you can't discount the other one.
    You can say the same about some Brexiters who went from being indifferent to Brussels to blaming it for everything that's wrong in their lives in the space of a few months.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope so.

ReputationRep:
    He can't sack her, there's nobody left to replace her with.

ReputationRep:
    it would be kinda ironic, because they have been in the sack

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it would be kinda ironic, because they have been in the sack

:teehee:
    He has previously given her the shaft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    He has previously given her the shaft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    You can say the same about some Brexiters who went from being indifferent to Brussels to blaming it for everything that's wrong in their lives in the space of a few months.
    That's not really the same thing. People voted leave because they wanted out for whatever reason. I don't know too many people who voted out that think that the EU is the most terrible thing in the world. On the other hand, I know of dozens of remainers who are absolutely convinced that this is an existential crisis.

We've known for years that people were split on the EU, and that the opinion was quite close. There are some who are very opposed - the UKIP types. But I was not aware of many people, if any, and certainly none personally who articulated even a tiny amount of what now amounts to a zealous pro-EU fervour.

Most people I know were ambivalent toward the EU, a lot thought it was a bit silly. I don't know anyone who going back a few years thought that the EU was the guardian of Britains freedoms, jurisprudence and social cohesion.

ReputationRep:
    I wish the whole lot of them would go they are no use lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.