Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have -2x+4-3/2x
    Integrated: -x^2 + 4x -3/2
    I am not sure about the -3/2 because -3/2x gives -3x^-1/2. So -1+1 = 0 and anything to the power of 0 = 1. So that results in 3/2. Is this correct though?

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    I have -2x+4-3/2x
    I am not sure about the -3/2 because -3/2x gives -3x^-1/2. So -1+1 = 0 and anything to the power of 0 = 1. So that results in 3/2. Is this correct though?

Thank you in advance
    integration of 1/x is lnx .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangotangopapa2)
    integration of 1/x is lnx .

Sorry, what is Inx?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what is Inx?

Np. lnx is the natural logarithm of x. I guess Wikipedia does a better job of explaining this than me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm :P

This is because the derivative of ln x is 1/x.

ReputationRep:
    Np. lnx is the natural logarithm of x. I guess Wikipedia does a better job of explaining this than me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm :P

This is because the derivative of ln x is 1/x.
    Ahh...this is c2 stuff and I haven't done logs yet. So in order to integrate the function I must do logs first?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh...this is c2 stuff and I haven't done logs yet. So in order to integrate the function I must do logs first?
    If you are working with only the algebraic problems (and some trigonometric functions involving only the sin and cos) then you should be fine by just noting that the integration of 1/x is ln x. Otherwise, you might wanna study logarithms first.

ReputationRep:
    maybe without logs you could bring the 1/2x to the top by calling it 2x^-1 then integrate that

ReputationRep:
    If you are working with only the algebraic problems (and some trigonometric functions involving only the sin and cos) then you should be fine by just noting that the integration of 1/x is ln x. Otherwise, you might wanna study logarithms first.
    Okay, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrystalSalvatore)
    maybe without logs you could bring the 1/2x to the top by calling it 2x^-1 then integrate that
    Ahh, so is -3/2x equivalent to -6x^-1 if I bring the 2x to the top as you suggested? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrystalSalvatore)
    No, you can't. Integration on x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1) only when n is not equal to -1.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I have -2x+4-3/2x

Thank you in advance
    Do you mean -3/(2x) or (-3/2)x ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Do you mean -3/(2x) or (-3/2)x ?
    The former
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    This thread...

OP, what is your exam board? If they do not cover the natural logarithm and its derivative in C2 then you probably have the wrong question or written it down incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    This thread...

OP, what is your exam board? If they do not cover the natural logarithm and its derivative in C2 then you probably have the wrong question or written it down incorrectly.
    Edexcel. I asked my teacher today and they said natural logs = a C4 technique...I don't know why this Q was with my C2 questions!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.