Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do students need? (help needed) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

I was hoping you could help.

I'm returning to this forums after a good 10 years away. I was once an avid forum user during my A levels and University course and the community back then really helped me to achieve my academic goals - alas my user name and profile is likely lost to the depths of the internet now.

I'm returning following the start up of my own company which is focused on pumping out some (hopefully) valuable career content. As a quick overview I've recently celebrated by decade anniversary in Professional Services recruitment having operated UK, US and Dubai recruiting for both FTSE and VC backed client portfolios. I have decided to break away from the industry and focus more on helping people with career development.

I'm looking to include a student element to the business with a focus on the things i struggled with whilst contemplating my own career as a student. Namely UCAS application, work experience, university choices, course choices, interview preparations as a student etc...With my experience in recruitment I'm conscious of wanting to give something back and try to add some value to communities such as this one. All of the student content would be completely free but my priority is to ensure its relevance.

My question to you is are the struggles still the same as when I was a student? Is UCAS still a pain? Is the supporting / personal statement still the archaic, structured format it once was? Is career advice still difficult to get as a student? I have several meetings in the next fortnight with some really great universities and colleges to discuss how they're supporting students and would welcome your input at this point to give me some context to go into these meetings with.

thankyou guys
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren Loyden)
    Hello TSR,

I'm returning to this forums after a good 10 years away. I was once an avid forum user during my A levels and University course and the community back then really helped me to achieve my academic goals - alas my user name and profile is likely lost to the depths of the internet now.

I'm returning following the start up of my own company which is focused on pumping out some (hopefully) valuable career content. As a quick overview I've recently celebrated by decade anniversary in Professional Services recruitment having operated UK, US and Dubai recruiting for both FTSE and VC backed client portfolios. I have decided to break away from the industry and focus more on helping people with career development.

I'm looking to include a student element to the business with a focus on the things i struggled with whilst contemplating my own career as a student. Namely UCAS application, work experience, university choices, course choices, interview preparations as a student etc...With my experience in recruitment I'm conscious of wanting to give something back and try to add some value to communities such as this one. All of the student content would be completely free but my priority is to ensure its relevance.

My question to you is are the struggles still the same as when I was a student? Is UCAS still a pain? Is the supporting / personal statement still the archaic, structured format it once was? Is career advice still difficult to get as a student? I have several meetings in the next fortnight with some really great universities and colleges to discuss how they're supporting students and would welcome your input at this point to give me some context to go into these meetings with.

thankyou guys
    UCAS is actually quite good and easy to use. I had no interview, so I don't know about that. I used the usual structure/format for my personal statement, which I can PM to you if you wish (it's for physics). The main struggle was getting the grades required!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren Loyden)
    Hello TSR,

thankyou guys
    Personally, I would say that the UCAS process is really pretty simple now, although Student Finance is a nightmare, but not so much the online side of things, it's when you have to phone them up to request a statement/ complain/ ask for information that they are hopeless, so not much you can do there...

Course and uni choices, interviews, etc. are usually pretty simple too - all universities put detailed information on their these on their websites, and most schools will advise students on this. There could be a market for helping international students though, or helping those students who are self-teaching so don't have a school to advise them - but there are already loads of free resources online so not much new you could add, possible business opportunity with offering one-on-one consultations I guess though, since this would be actually helpful for some students.

Work experience is definitely one area where students could do with help - but again, not so much with just reading articles, since there are already loads of these around online. It would be more helpful to promote local opportunities for them, contact small businesses to see if they would be willing to offer short work experience placements to students in a local school, etc. - but again, really this is much more easily done by individual schools rather than a national level website, it would be too much work to visit every small town around the country to set these things up - although again, if you were looking from more of a business point of view rather than offering free information, there could be a market for being paid by schools to help them with these things, they often don't have the time/ interest...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.