Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my test in a few days and I am ridiculously nervous!! Does anyone have any tips?? What to expect on the day??

Also has anyone used rescue remedy? I was thinking about using some on the day to try and help my nerves

ReputationRep:
    The only solution to being nervous is to practice more. Also, rigourous clinical trials have shown that so called "remedies" you mention in your post have no efficacy beyond a placebo, and I certainly wouldn't take anything like that before a driving test. Any drug that actually makes you less nervous will inhibit your ability to concentrate during the test.

ReputationRep:
    What to expect on the day? Pretty much what you'd expect to expect. Go to test centre, do some driving and maneouvers, finish. It's really just like when you've been learning.

Don't be nervous. What have you go to be nervous about? If you are taking your test then you are a capable driver. Any problems and the instructor still has control. Nervous about failure? What's the worst that happens? You fail and retake.

Don't be nervous because there really is nothing to be nervous about. Let us know in a few days when you pass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellee0)
    I have my test in a few days and I am ridiculously nervous!! Does anyone have any tips?? What to expect on the day??

Also has anyone used rescue remedy? I was thinking about using some on the day to try and help my nerves
    It's been a few years since I did this now - don't panic! Remember, you know how to drive. They're not trying to catch you out, rather just test what you already know.

When you first arrive they may ask you to lift the bonnet and point out something - usually the windscreen wash or oil refill (sometimes known as the 'dipstick'). Make sure you know these and can open a bonnet.

The instructor will likely not make conversation with you - I tried to be friendly and talkative and he didn't respond much. Just focus on your driving. Sounds obvious, but make sure you leave the test centre on the right side of the road - some people do this out of sheer nerves and fail immediately!

Just remain calm and confident. Watch out for all speed limits. Exaggerate your looking in each mirror with a slight turn of your head, don't just move your eyes. If you are coming up to something you don't like (for me it was always roundabouts) just think about it one step at a time: what lane should you be in, what are the other cars around you doing, give way to the right, indicate on entry and exit.

Sometimes, you'll get something really unfortunate that'll happen and you may fail. If this happens, try and use this as a practice test to learn from your mistake.

In my driving test I was convinced 10 minutes in I'd done something badly wrong so drove the rest of the route like I didn't care. I actually passed, so if you think you have failed it's not even necessarily the case.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to the point - on the day you can choose to have your instructor come with you in the back seat. Don't do this. They are not allowed to help you or say anything and imo it's just extra pressure driving with 2 people in the car rather than one.

ReputationRep:

Oooh i've got my test next Thursday!! When have you got yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptMag123)
    Oooh i've got my test next Thursday!! When have you got yours?
    I had mine today! Got 3 minors but failed cos I was in wrong lane in roundabout and I tried to change and there was a car behind in the other lane! Rebooked for 1st march.

Good luck for your test!

ReputationRep:
    I had mine today! Got 3 minors but failed cos I was in wrong lane in roundabout and I tried to change and there was a car behind in the other lane! Rebooked for 1st march.

Good luck for your test!
    Oh no!!! Well i'm glad you're able to retake it so soon!

I've heard a few people have that in their driving test, apparently the best thing to do it just carry on in that lane and the driving examiner will re-direct you!! I must remember to do that in my test and not panic as that'll make things worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptMag123)
    Oh no!!! Well i'm glad you're able to retake it so soon!

I've heard a few people have that in their driving test, apparently the best thing to do it just carry on in that lane and the driving examiner will re-direct you!! I must remember to do that in my test and not panic as that'll make things worse
    I know I made such a silly mistake! I would have passed otherwise!

Yeah that's what my instructor told me after to just stay in the wrong lane and they will re direct you.

Good luck I'm sure you will be fine!

ReputationRep:

Good luck for your test!
    In future, don't try and switch lanes right at the end, just tell the examiner you know you're in the wrong lane and that you are going to take the "wrong" exit as a result. You might get a minor for not planning ahead, but as long as you take the wrong exit safely you are unlikely to be instantly failed for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    In future, don't try and switch lanes right at the end, just tell the examiner you know you're in the wrong lane and that you are going to take the "wrong" exit as a result. You might get a minor for not planning ahead, but as long as you take the wrong exit safely you are unlikely to be instantly failed for it.
    This is true, you don't fail for taking the wrong exit and you can tell them to make sure to tell them you're in the wrong lane so that they know you went wrong, same thing goes for missing a turn

ReputationRep:
    Took mine 7 times so I know thing or two about the test lmao. I've tried rescue remedy it didn't do very much tbh but I somehow felt that chewing gum helped. For me during my lessons I was constantly talking to my instructor as that made me feel at ease. Dependable how the examiner is some or more chattier than others but I definitely found talking helpful (but remember they're working so not too much). Basically just try your best to chill out, lol I used to say the mantra "you're a good driver and you will pass" over and over during the test 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameehannah)
    Took mine 7 times so I know thing or two about the test lmao. I've tried rescue remedy it didn't do very much tbh but I somehow felt that chewing gum helped. For me during my lessons I was constantly talking to my instructor as that made me feel at ease. Dependable how the examiner is some or more chattier than others but I definitely found talking helpful (but remember they're working so not too much). Basically just try your best to chill out, lol I used to say the mantra "you're a good driver and you will pass" over and over during the test 😂
    Yeah my examiner was really friendly and quite chatty so that put my at ease!
    Haha thanks for the advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.