Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend lied about me on a dating show Watch

ReputationRep:
    My Uni did a version of Take Me Out for charity and I was one of the guy contestants. Part of our audition for the role was to have two or three friends talk about me and why a girl should date me and the video wouldn't be shown to me until the live show last night so I couldn't change any of their answers

I then found out live that my female friend had lied in the video saying that during Freshers when she met me that i was unsociable and ignoring people, something far from the truth and all the girls still standing up with their lights on all sat down, turned their lights off and rejected me.

I kept my cool and kept a smile on, but when I walked out of the show I never felt as embarassed in my whole life as I did then, in front of 1000 people, other friends and in the public eye by a friend and ex-flatmate who's known me since Day 1 at Uni (even before as we chatted on Facebook before meeting in person). The saving grace was that two girls I knew from work and a society stood up instantly and walked out with me when the presenter asked who from the audience would walk out with me, probably because he thought that I wasn't unsociable especially when he was in the pre-show room interacting with all of us contestants.

This girl owes me money as well when I bought her flat drinks for a sushi night the night before, I feel like telling her to pay the money into my account and then not to speak to me ever again. She hasn't even messaged me yet to apologise, ask if I'm okay or talk about the show even. All this time when she was helping me prepare, telling me the right things to say but she had set me up for failure herself for no reason.

I'm really stung by this and whilst I know I'll ger over it soon and did everything for a good cause and got a lot of support from friends and family, friendships in my life and trust in them are being questioned once more.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her about it, and ask why she said what she did. It may well be that you came across that way at first, even if you didn't mean to. Either way, she'll be able to explain her intentions much better than our speculations can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoungerHamii2014)
    My Uni did a version of Take Me Out for charity and I was one of the guy contestants. Part of our audition for the role was to have two or three friends talk about me and why a girl should date me and the video wouldn't be shown to me until the live show last night so I couldn't change any of their answers

I then found out live that my female friend had lied in the video saying that during Freshers when she met me that i was unsociable and ignoring people, something far from the truth and all the girls still standing up with their lights on all sat down, turned their lights off and rejected me.

I kept my cool and kept a smile on, but when I walked out of the show I never felt as embarassed in my whole life as I did then, in front of 1000 people, other friends and in the public eye by a friend and ex-flatmate who's known me since Day 1 at Uni (even before as we chatted on Facebook before meeting in person). The saving grace was that two girls I knew from work and a society stood up instantly and walked out with me when the presenter asked who from the audience would walk out with me, probably because he thought that I wasn't unsociable especially when he was in the pre-show room interacting with all of us contestants.

This girl owes me money as well when I bought her flat drinks for a sushi night the night before, I feel like telling her to pay the money into my account and then not to speak to me ever again. She hasn't even messaged me yet to apologise, ask if I'm okay or talk about the show even. All this time when she was helping me prepare, telling me the right things to say but she had set me up for failure herself for no reason.

I'm really stung by this and whilst I know I'll ger over it soon and did everything for a good cause and got a lot of support from friends and family, friendships in my life and trust in them are being questioned once more.

Sounds like you're in need of some Paddy Love.........

ReputationRep:
    Maybe that really is how she perceived you when she first met you and that perception has now changed since she has got to know you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Talk to her about it, and ask why she said what she did. It may well be that you came across that way at first, even if you didn't mean to. Either way, she'll be able to explain her intentions much better than our speculations can.
    Well she insists that's how I was and thinks it's true. I remember during 1st year relishing being at Uni for the first time, wanting to do so many things and meet all sorts of people not being anti-social and rude. She also said it's not that deep because it was a good laugh and that the other contestants (who got away with it) had negative things said about them as well. She said there were positive things about me said by her but blamed the organisers for not playing it (probably because I was blacked out already)

Still even with that explanation she had a choice on what to say about me; The negative things could've been something as arbitary as some bad habits I have rather than mention things related to my personality.

Funny, she messaged me at the time I posted this thread

ReputationRep:
    Even if that is how she perceived you to be, she's a bit of a ***** for saying it? Speak to her, say how hurt you were. Honestly, communication is key!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiningsunset)
    Maybe that really is how she perceived you when she first met you and that perception has now changed since she has got to know you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps, but it doesnt mean she didn't have a choice to say those things about me. As a contestant your friends involved should promote you in the best possible light and she said negative things right away in the video.

Plus if she thought the whole show was a good laugh then she should've tried to make a joke or two about me when she was being filmed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.