Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently work full time, when I head off to university in September I will be quitting my job as I am moving 350 miles to the other end of the country. When I do my finance application do I have to add my income if I won't have my job when I am at university? I just assumed that it would be the household income for whilst you're at uni?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyPietrafesa)
    I currently work full time, when I head off to university in September I will be quitting my job as I am moving 350 miles to the other end of the country. When I do my finance application do I have to add my income if I won't have my job when I am at university? I just assumed that it would be the household income for whilst you're at uni?
    The student finance forms don't ask about the earned income of student that's applying - only any unearned income (eg from trust funds or rental income etc)

If you're under 25 then the household income asked for will be for your parents.
    If you're over 25 (or meet the "independent" criteria in another way) then the household income asked for would be for your partner (plus any unearned income for your dependants).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The student finance forms don't ask about the earned income of student that's applying - only any unearned income (eg from trust funds or rental income etc)

If you're under 25 then the household income asked for will be for your parents.
    If you're over 25 (or meet the "independent" criteria in another way) then the household income asked for would be for your partner (plus any unearned income for your dependants).
    Hey thanks for your response, when using the student finance calculator it says the household income is yours + your parents? That's why I was checking!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyPietrafesa)
    Hey thanks for your response, when using the student finance calculator it says the household income is yours + your parents? That's why I was checking!
    It would only be your unearned income (because SFE think we all have trust funds! )

If you want an idea of the information asked for then you can see last years forms and guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...17/new-student

The online application when it opens will ask exactly the same questions for 2017/18 entry.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi LucyPietrafesa

Please see below for what you would include or not:

Income that will be taken into account
    • Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
    • Property Lettings or Rent
    • Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
    • Trusts or Sponsorships
    • Pensions
    • Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries).
    Income that will NOT be taken into account
    • Any earnings from full or part-time work this can be vacation work or work during term time
    • Maintenance Loan or Grant payments
    • Child and Working Tax Credits
    • ISA’s, TESSA’s
    • Payments received from parents under covenant
    • Maintenance payments received for children. These maintenance payments should be included as part of the children’s income in section 8d
    • Teacher Training Bursaries
    • Care Leavers Bursary
    • Other Higher Education Bursaries (HEBSS/WBS)
    • Bounties paid by the armed services to reservists or disablement or invalidity pensions
    • Profit from selling property
    • Ebay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.